​South Carolinians sound off as Trump protests hit Columbia

Whatever is written in history books to come, no one can say they did not show up to fight.

They chanted. “Love Trumps Hate.” “Not My President.” “No Trump, No KKK, No Racist USA.”

They carried signs. “Bernie Sanders 2016.” “Nasty Women Against Trump.” “Diversity Made America.” “Grow Up Bigots, You Lost.” 

White and black, young and old, student and otherwise, dozens of Columbians descended upon the State House grounds Friday evening to protest Donald Trump’s impending presidency. Protesters condemned Trump’s proposed policies as dangerous and polarizing at a time when the United States are as divided as ever. Other observers found the protests futile, especially given the results of Tuesday’s election.

Kenyatta Mitchell, a technical advisor, said she and her husband attended the rally as part of ongoing film project. 

The pending documentary, titled Caelum’s War, is a project dedicated by the Mitchells to their young sons, one of whom is referenced in the film’s title. 

“We are documenting everything we possibly can to help them fight,” Mitchell said. 

Mitchell said she previously travelled to the State House to protest the presence of the Confederate battle flag on the north lawn.  She added that the political discourse following the flag’s removal last July has not turned out as she had hoped. 

“We have little boys and a little girl on the way and we cannot leave this country to them the way it was left to us. It’s unacceptable,” Mitchell said. 

Ashley, a fourth-year history student, carried a piece of poster board reading “Sexual Predators Shouldn’t Be President.” Accompanied by her friend Alex, a wildlife rehabilitator, she held the sign high mere feet from a mix of South Carolina State Troopers, SLED officers and bicycle patrolmen.

“Pretty much [Trump’s] whole existence swayed me away from him,” Ashley said. “I would never, ever have voted for Trump, in my life.” 

Promptly at 9:02 p.m., the crowd loitering on the State House steps walked to the curb of Gervais Street and began chanting for passing nighttime traffic. A chorus of horns rang out from the intersection as drivers honked their approval of the protest.

The crowd turned mobile just after 9:15 p.m., walking several blocks north on Main Street past late diners at Cantina 76 and skateboarders at the foot of 1441 Main. At 9:36 p.m., shortly after protesters returned to the State House, several people also marched west on Gervais before circling around as well.

Despite the generous turnout of Trump opponents, not all attendees shared in the sentiment. In particular, James Bessenger had a very different take on the night’s events.

“I think it’s ironic that Democrats are protesting democracy,” Bessenger said. 

As chairman of the South Carolina Secessionist Party, Bessenger attended the protest to prevent vandalism of the Confederate Monument, which has stood at the northern end of the State House lawn since 1879.  According to Bessenger, Secessionist Party members were also on guard at monuments in Greenville and Charleston on Friday night. 

Casey Hamlin, a first-year political science major, attended not to protest, but to observe the growing movement against the president-elect.

“It’s part of history,” Hamlin said. 

Hamlin, who identifies as a Republican, said he voted for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton as “the lesser of two evils.” However, he called on Americans to unite around the President-elect Trump for the benefit of the nation. 

“It’s great that people are coming out here and [are] passionate about it,” Hamlin said of the protest. “But at the end of the day, it’s not going to accomplish anything. On January 20th, Donald Trump will still be president.”