Bowl eligibility on the line as Gamecocks prepare for Western Carolina

South Carolina's upcoming game against Western Carolina presents the classic upset scenario: a team with a great deal on the line against a team with nothing to lose. 

After their loss to Florida, the Gamecocks have a 5-5 season record. This means they are one win away from bowl eligibility. With a trip to No. 4 Clemson as their last game of the season, this weekend's game against the Catamounts could be South Carolina's last chance to reach post-season play.

The Catamounts will head to Columbia following a 49-21 loss to Furman. Over half of the 2-8 team's losses have been by a margin of at least 14 points. They have yet to win an away game. 

Despite this, the Catamounts still possess a few weapons in their arsenal. One of these weapons is Keion Crossen. The junior defensive back won Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Week after Western Carolina's win over Virginia Military Institute. Crossen has 53 total tackles on the season, with three tackles against ECU alone. He could prove difficult for a young offense who suffered last week against the Gators and may have taken a large hit in confidence and morale.

The Gamecock offense has more than just Crossen to take into account. Defensive leader Tyson Dickson has tallied up 86 tackles over the course of the season, while Fred Payne has intercepted two passes for 42 yards. 

The other potential threat Western Carolina brings with it is the element of surprise. At this point in the season, a 2-8 record brings its own set of benefits. A certain amount of brazenness can come with a team that has nothing to lose as they near the end of the season. Having played ECU earlier in the season, the Catamounts are less likely to be phased by the prospect of facing off against a well-known team. 

The matchup has the potential to remain a largely defensive battle. In their game against ECU, the Catamounts looked impressive on paper, with 148 rushing yards and 172 receiving yards. However, they failed to translate these yards into meaningful drives, scoring only seven points. South Carolina demonstrated in its loss to Florida that it has the same issue. The Gamecock offense rushed for 43 yards, passed for 213 yards and scored one touchdown.

The Catamounts' offense could become especially vulnerable against the Gamecock's interception-heavy defense. Quarterback Tyrie Adams has thrown nine interceptions  this season. South Carolina has intercepted 13 passes in the same amount of time.

Western Carolina will play South Carolina Saturday Nov. 19 at 4 p.m. The game is available on the SEC Network's alternate channel.