Column: Alaina Coates Gamecocks' most important player

South Carolina women's basketball has reached the national spotlight in the last couple years, as Dawn Staley has led the Gamecocks to three straight SEC titles and the program's first ever Final Four. Much of the attention has gone to Staley, the leader of the turnaround, and plenty went to former All-American Tiffany Mitchell, the most decorated player in the team's history.

With Mitchell's graduation, the focus shifted to A'ja Wilson, 2015-16's SEC Player of the Year and a potential face of the sport. Fans were also very excited coming into the season to see All-ACC transfers Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray, but there was far less talk about South Carolina's 6-foot-4 center Alaina Coates.

Coates is often discussed because of her high-low game with Wilson, but the Irmo native is much more than a sidekick. Statistically, Coates is exceptional, averaging a double-double with 14.7 points (second on the team) and a team-high 10.6 rebounds per game. Her 69 percent shooting from the floor ranks third in the nation, and she's the most efficient option on the court for the Gamecocks at any time.

South Carolina has four players who can seemingly score at will in Coates, Wilson, Gray and Davis, and Coates has taken the fewest shots of the four players, including Wilson, who has missed the last two games. In fact, Coates has taken just one more shot than Bianca-Cuevas Moore, who averages 5.5 fewer points per game. Obviously, efficiency between guards and post players will always be different, but Coates' conversion rate can't be understated.

I can keep going with the stats, but it's not the numbers that stand out to me. Coates' athleticism and hustle are unmatched at the center position. She also stands out for her effort in the open court and in rebounding. Coates' willingness to dive on the floor or out of bounds for loose balls coupled with her size generally results in her coming up with the ball. 

She's just as aggressive grabbing the ball off the rim as well. Every Coates defensive rebound is secured with elbows high before making a quick outlet pass, flipping her ponytail and getting down the court. In an offense that loves to get out in transition, her outlet passing is key, as she always seems to get the ball into the hands of a playmaker to start a fast break.

The Gamecocks haven't played in too many close games this season, but Coates has excelled when the nation's No. 5 team has pulled out close wins. She recorded double-doubles in wins over Ohio State, UCLA and Georgia, including a 20-point, 14-rebound performance against the Bruins. The lone exception to this is Coates' six points and seven boards in the win over Texas, where she played 22 minutes due to foul trouble.

In South Carolina's only loss, Coates was kept in check, scoring eight points and grabbing five rebounds despite nearly playing the entire game against Duke, while the Gamecocks' other three stars reached double figures.

Coates does a lot of the dirty work for this basketball team that goes unnoticed, particularly with her passing, shot-blocking and hustle. Wilson and Davis may be seen as more key players by many fans, but Coates is the engine that drives this team.

It seems as if the Gamecocks can go as long as Coates goes, which luckily for them, looks to be pretty far. With 11 double-doubles in just 16 games, Coates has South Carolina headed for another SEC title. Flip your ponytail about that.