Gamecocks schedule card-stunt to celebrate life and legacy of Pat Summitt

UT coach Pat Summitt encourages her team during their NCAA Women's final four tournament game with MSU in Indianapolis, Indiana, on Sunday, April 3, 2005 in Indianapolis, Ind. (Matt Detrich/Indianapolis Star/TNS)

No. 5 South Carolina women's basketball will honor Pat Summitt, the winningest women's basketball coach in NCAA history, when hosting Tennessee on Jan. 30.

Summitt was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in August of 2011, before the beginning of her 38th season. She continued to coach that season, leading the Lady Volunteers to the Elite Eight in a more limited coaching position. Summitt passed away in June of 2016.

Several programs around the country participated in "We Back Pat Week" earlier this month in order to spread awareness for Alzheimer's disease.

The Gamecocks will be coordinating the first card-stunt promotion in college basketball after the third quarter, with fans receiving special cards that will create an image to pay tribute to Summitt.

"Every time we play Tennessee, and every time I think about Tennessee, I think about Pat Summitt and her legacy and what she's given to the game," South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley said.

Summitt coached eight teams that won NCAA championships including back-to-back-to-back titles between 1996 and 1998.

"We wanted to do something different because Pat Summitt is different," said Staley, who was recruited by the legendary Tennessee coach out of high school. "Hopefully it will go over well — we don't want her legacy to die down."

"I know some of the players probably don't know exactly the impact that she had on the game, but the reason why they are able to play and get scholarships is because she fought really hard to make sure that girls had the same thing as the guys had," Staley said.

The game will be DJed by South Carolina football players Deebo Samuel and Hayden Hurst as part of the celebration.

Tennessee enters the game 4-3 in conference play and features guard Diamond DeShields, who ranks No. 3 in the SEC in scoring, averaging 17.5 points per game.

Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m.