Award season recap: the best, the worst and the weirdest

Mahershala Ali arrives at the 89th Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood. (Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

It has been quite an award season — one that will be well remembered in years to come. Not just for the fashion and the awkward hosts, but for all of the heartwarming and disastrous moments that littered the shows this season. So, in honor of another year of mishaps and ­­­successes come and gone, here’s a recap of the best and worst moments from the top award shows in 2017.

Worst of the Oscars: The Best Picture snafu

As should be no surprise to anyone, the conundrum that was the end of the award show was the worst moment of the Oscars this year. Faye Dunaway mistakenly announced “La La Land” for Best Picture, when it was really “Moonlight” that won. This resulted in a plethora of comments about the mistake being staged and it took all the attention away from the cinematic brilliance of “Moonlight,” forcing the topic of conversation to be on the mix-up instead.

Best of the Oscars: Justin Timberlake starts the show

Despite the train wreck that happened with the award for Best Picture, the Oscars did have some good moments. Namely, the musical moments. Justin Timberlake opened the show with "Can't Stop the Feeling," his upbeat, Oscar-nominated song from “Trolls.” Though it was an unusual start for the Oscars, the number gave real energy to the start of the show with everyone dancing and on their feet.

Weirdest of the Oscars: The Tour Bus Segment

The weirdest moment of the Oscars this year was by far the tour bus segment Jimmy Kimmel orchestrated. It was forced and awkward for both the celebrities and the tourists. They were ushered in, Denzel Washington "married" a couple, Jennifer Aniston was asked to give her sunglasses away and then they were ushered out. Out of many awkward moments at the award show this year, this one took the cake.

Worst of the Grammys: James Corden’s hosting

After having LL Cool J on as the host for five years in a row, the Grammys switched it up this year and asked James Corden to host instead. And, as many hosts are prone to do, Corden tried to incorporate too much comedy and segments from his own show, resulting in a lot of chaos and confusion. From the tumble down the stairs at the start of the show to the butchering of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” by the celebrities in the Carpool Karaoke segment, James Corden tried a little too hard, and it showed.

Best of the Grammys: Adele pays tribute to “Lemonade”

Adele shone throughout the Grammys and she had so many great moments, but the best had to be her heartfelt dedication of her Grammy for Best Album to Beyoncé’s “Lemonade.” She cried, Beyoncé cried and everyone watching cried. Adele even went so far as to break her Grammy in half so she could give half to Beyoncé because “Lemonade” was so important to her.

Weirdest of the Grammys: Twenty One Pilots sheds their pants

When Twenty One Pilots were announced as the winners for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance at the Grammys, they stood up, took off their pants and then walked on stage. Needless to say, everyone was shocked and still felt a little awkward even after they explained their reason for doing so was because of the crazy dream that receiving a Grammy seems like before you get recognized.

Worst of the Golden Globes: “Hidden Fences”

In a mistake that upset many, the film “Hidden Figures” was called “Hidden Fences” not just once, but by both NBC red carpet correspondent Jenna Bush Hager and actor Micael Keaton during the Golden Globes. And though it was just that, a mistake, it made many feel unappreciated and upset that two predominantly African-American movies got mixed up by a white actor. Keaton issued a formal apology, but the mistake still sparked conversation for days afterwards.

Best of the Golden Globes: Meryl Streep and Viola Davis give us all the feelings

Meryl Streep made an emotional statement during her acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globes that inspired many both in attendance and not. Viola Davis introduced Streep with an honest and personal introduction to her milestone award, and the moment only went up from there. Streep commented on the importance of diversity in the arts and told the audience to protect the press. She and Davis can take the award for the best moment of the night, because they made a touching testimony to the power of the arts that resonated with all who watched.

Weirdest of the Golden Globes: Ryan Reynolds and Andrew Garfield make out

Yeah, that happened, and it was weird. While Ryan Gosling is walking up to the stage to accept his award for Best Actor in a Musical, Reynolds and Garfield took some of the attention away from him by sharing a kiss. The two Marvel superhero alums seemed to have planned it out for comedic purposes, but it was still an unexpected surprise that shocked everyone.