Bowers off to strong start in 2017

In the first two weeks of the 2017 season, South Carolina pitcher Colie Bowers has already made more than half the number of appearances he made last season.

Based on the way he performed, it appears he’s going to be making many more.

“He’s been terrific for us. He’s got some confidence, he’s throwing the ball in there, he’s got good zip on his fast ball and he’s got a great changeup. It’s been pretty neat to watch his growth and development,” coach Chad Holbrook said.

Bowers has pitched 6.2 innings over four games this season. He’s given up zero earned runs (0.00 ERA) and one hit, and has struck out eight.

His first appearance of the season came on opening day against UNC Greensboro in relief of Friday night ace Clarke Schmidt. The senior took the mound in the seventh inning with the Gamecocks leading 7-1. He struck out the first four batters he faced and held the Spartans to one hit over 2.1 innings pitched, which helped Schmidt secure his first win of the season.

Bowers earned his first win in USC’s midweek game versus Charlotte on Feb. 21. He pitched two scoreless innings with no walks and one strikeout. In his next appearance, the series-opener versus Wright State, Bowers earned his second win of the year to improve to 2-0. With the score tied 3-3 in the seventh inning and Wright State plating runners on the corners, Bowers allowed no hits and struck out one to keep the game tied.

“I knew I had to do whatever I could to not let that run cross,” Bowers said. “It was obviously a tie game and Clarke Schmidt threw phenomenal. I felt like the least I could do was salvage that for him and do my job, do my part.”

When Bowers got the Gamecocks out of the jam, Schmidt was beaming with happiness in the dugout, pumping his fists and cheering loudly for his fellow pitcher. He said it was exciting to see Bowers perform in a high-pressure situation on the Friday night main stage.

“He’s a really hard worker. He deserves some innings like that and he deserves an outing like that,” Schmidt said. “It’s a big confidence booster for him to go out there and be able to get guys running in a scoring position, you get out of it with a one-run ball game on a Friday night, so I’m really happy for him.”

Last season, Bowers started in two games, tallied 15 strikeouts, eight walks and five hits in 13.1 innings to finish the year with a 1-0 record and 2.03 ERA. He credits his fast start this season to the work he did during the offseason.

“I’m just trying to throw more strikes this year, command multiple pitches for strikes and just do that consistently and I think that was a big thing this offseason,” Bowers said.

“I just feel more at home, more used to the environment and just having more confidence in my pitches.”

A native of Lexington, S.C., Bowers attended Lexington High School before joining the College of Charleston baseball team in 2013. He transferred to USC Sumter in 2015 and landed at South Carolina in 2016. The senior said pitching for his hometown team is a dream come true and hopes to live up to expectations during his final year with the Gamecocks.

“I’ve grown up here my whole life, so it’s kind of special for me to come out here in front of a home crowd and be able to perform for them,” Bowers said.