Gamecocks edge Georgia despite problems in the paint

With a 77-75 victory over Georgia, the Gamecocks improved to 9-1 in the SEC, their best record since beginning conference play with an 11-1 mark during the 1996-1997 season. 

In a tightly-contested first half the scoring differential between the two teams never eclipsed more than four points. 

The Gamecocks and Bulldogs entered halftime in a 38-38 draw, although Georgia shot 48 percent from the floor and got to the foul line early and often. 

Production from the backcourt 

South Carolina's starting trio of guards Sindarius Thornwell, PJ Dozier and Duane Notice accounted for 32 percent of South Carolina's scoring in the first half. 

Thornwell hit three consecutive three-pointers midway through the second half. His first three-pointer in that stretch enabled him to surpass Mike Dunleavy to move to No. 6 all-time in scoring in the program's history. 

Problems at the Post

South Carolina's Chris Silva, Maik Kotsar, Khadim Gueye and Sedee Keita combined for just one rebound, zero points and six fouls in the first half.  

"I challenged our big kids at halftime," said South Carolina head coach Frank Martin. "I was furious with our big guys at halftime."

Kotsar in particular made adjustments in the second half, scoring seven points and recording six rebounds. 

"Credit Maik Kotsar -- I've been on Maik three weeks now -- relentlessly," said Martin. "We don't win today without him in the second half." 

The Gamecocks struggled to manage the physical presence of Georgia's Yante Maten, with the No. 2 scorer in the SEC compiling 18 points despite picking up an early third foul. 

Georgia outscored South Carolina in the paint and secured a sizable 36-28 rebounding advantage.  

Top recruit feels the love

Zion Williamson, the No. 2 recruit in the nation in the 2018 class, was in attendance among a sold out crowd at Colonial Life Arena. The sell out marked the 10th in program history for a men's basketball game. 

The crowd participated in a white-out and initiated "We want Zion!" chants on loop throughout the second half. 

Williamson's extravagant dunks and mixtapes have made him one of the most famous high school basketball players in recent memory. One highlight reel of Williamson scoring 47 points against Anderson Christian has already garnered well-over a million views on YouTube. The power forward from Spartanburg, South Carolina stood to acknowledge the fans' appreciation on multiple occasions. 

Williamson has received an offer from South Carolina, but is also being courted by several of college basketball's blue-blood programs, including Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA and Kentucky. 

Next Up

The Gamecocks will host Alabama on Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m. The Crimson Tide have dropped their past two conference games to Arkansas and Auburn.