Column: Trump should not celebrate possible Snowden extradition

“Drain the Swamp.” It is a familiar catchphrase used by Donald Trump’s election campaign to establish the candidate’s anti-corruption, and therefore anti-establishment, position. Running against a figure like Hillary Clinton, the idea of fixing Washington’s ethical problems likely won him the election. However, Trump’s controversial relationship with Russia undermines this position, which includes allegations of DNC hacks, and other election-tampering behaviors.

Ever since his inauguration, Trump has been solidifying his relationship with Russia, which led to Russia considering the possibility of sending Edward Snowden back to the United States, according to U.S. intelligence sources. Aside from the ethical ugliness of sending human beings abroad to curry favor with another nation-state, Trump's acceptance of this “gift” would signal the end of his facade of being anti-establishment.

Snowden fled the country after releasing documents that revealed the unconstitutional nature of NSA spying programs. His position as a whistleblower makes him an ally of the American people but an enemy of the government. One would think that Trump should commend Snowden on his valor in defying the evil powers-that-be in Washington, but the commander in chief called him a “traitor.” Snowden’s shaky status in Russia, and his constant threat of prosecution if he were to come back to the U.S., has proved intimidating for other possible whistleblowers.

Ultimately, Trump’s acceptance of Russia’s “gift” would not only point out his true intentions as an elected official, but also the hypocrisy of his platform. This platform, shared with his voters, hates the power of the federal government, but also vilifies its enemies as traitorous anti-Americans when it should laud them for fighting a corrupt and unethical system.