Muschamp previews spring practice, sets high expectations

With a year of experience as South Carolina’s head coach under his belt, Will Muschamp has set high expectations for his second season with the Gamecock football team. 

“Our goals don’t ever change. We want to win the East. That’s what we want to do,” Muschamp said Wednesday.

Following three weeks of offseason workouts, Muschamp and the Gamecocks will enter the first weekend of spring practice on Saturday. The second-year coach hopes to see the young Gamecocks, including quarterback Jake Bentley, use their experience to become more mentally and physically tough.

“Having Jake (Bentley) back in his second year is great,” Muschamp said. “He’s a guy that has really attacked the offseason in the right way — as far as his meetings are concerned and he has got a better grasp of what we are offensively."

Many players who were nursing injuries in 2016 will get an opportunity to return to the field this weekend. One of them is linebacker Skai Moore, who underwent neck fusion surgery and missed the entire 2016 season. 

“He’s been cleared for everything, so we’re excited to get him back on the field,” Muschamp said. 

“I’ve been very proud of him and how he’s really attacked the offseason. He’s gone after it hard. We shut him down, so it’s been a tough offseason for him.”

Moore led the team in tackles his freshman, sophomore and junior seasons and was named second-team All-SEC in 2015. He will start the spring at the WILL linebacker position, while Bryson Allen-Williams will start as the SAM and T.J. Brunson will start as the MIKE. 

Only one South Carolina player underwent surgery during the postseason: wide receiver Bryan Edwards. The freshman had a sports hernia, or lower-abdomen strain, late in the season and is expected to miss the first four practices. 

“He played in pain the entire season, really. We need to get him healthy,” Muschamp said. “He’ll miss the first four and we’ll get him back healthy – that’s the most important thing right now.”

Another wide receiver, early enrollee Or’Tre Smith, is being monitored for an ankle injury he acquired in his senior season at Wando High School. Muschamp said he is going to let Smith go through individual workouts, but will wait until after spring break to let him participate in 11-on-11 scrimmages. 

Starting Feb. 25, the Gamecocks have 15 spring practices scheduled and will play the annual Garnet and Black spring game on April 1. With many players returning from injuries in 2016, several positional battles may be in store for USC, which Muschamp says will improve the team's overall work ethic. 

“At most positions, competition is my best motivator,” Muschamp said. “Guys know they’ve got to go out and perform every single day, and that promotes consistency in your performance.”