2017 Gamecock Recruiting: Defensive Line

2017 Gamecock Signing Class: Defensive Line

SEC games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Will Muschamp and his staff did a good job bringing in some talented young players, in addition to one of the best junior college players, to help bolster competitive depth on the defensive line.

Javon Kinlaw: Kinlaw is another player coming from the junior college ranks who originally committed to South Carolina coming out of high school. The Goose Creek native spent his last two seasons playing on the defensive line at Jones County Junior College. As a 4-star prospect, he had some of the best programs trying to get him, such as Southern California, Alabama, Louisville and Texas A&M. This past season, he had 26 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, and 4.5 sacks.

MJ Webb: Webb is a 4-star defensive end from Madison, Georgia. He held offers from esteemed programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida State, Ohio State and LSU. The early enrollee had 77 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, and 7 sacks in his junior season.

Aaron Sterling: Former Alabama commit, Aaron Sterling, announced his decision to join the Gamecocks on National Signing Day. He is only rated as a 3-star, but his offer list shows that he is much better than his rating. He has offers from Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and LSU, while also being invited to play in the Under Armour All-American game. In his senior year he was able to total 77 tackles and 15.5 sacks.

Brad Johnson: Johnson is a 4-star defensive end from Pendleton, South Carolina. He had offers from all over the country, including Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Michigan State and Notre Dame. He was a participant in the Shrine Bowl.

Tyreek Johnson: Tyreek Johnson is a greyshirt candidate, which means that he will pay for college for a year, and then be placed on scholarship the rest of his time on campus. Johnson is a 3-star prospect from Sumter, South Carolina. He was a participant in the Shrine Bowl.