Letter to the Editor: Martin remembered fondly at Kansas State

As college basketball fans nationwide have learned in the last few weeks, there’s much more to Frank Martin than the tenacious, borderline terrifying demeanor he shows on the basketball court. He came from nothing, but accepted no handouts as he earned his spot on the game’s biggest stage.

Martin’s story is one South Carolina fans have surely come to love, and it’s one Kansas State fans were quick to embrace nearly a decade ago. As I’ve learned during the Gamecocks’ improbable run to the Final Four, there is still no shortage of Martin supporters on the campus where he first broke into the head coaching ranks.

I was a freshman at K-State when Martin arrived as a member of Bob Huggins’ staff in 2006. Huggins’ one year gave a dormant program a shot in the arm, but the real transformation took place when Martin took the reins the following season. That year included K-State’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 1996, Martin’s first of four bids with the Wildcats. More importantly, though, it re-established a winning culture among players and fans alike. Sound familiar?

As a sports editor at the student newspaper, I had the privilege of covering the team during Martin’s most successful K-State season in 2009-10, which ended in the Elite Eight. Even when that team didn’t win, it was rarely outworked. It regularly showcased the “junkyard dog” style of play we’ve seen South Carolina exhibit throughout the tournament.

In many regards, Martin’s abrupt departure to Columbia in 2012 – a result of one too many disagreements with the former athletic director – still haunts K-State fans. That wound re-opened last weekend as we watched Martin not only return to the Elite Eight, but also cut down a net. To say “our loss has been your gain” would be a massive understatement.

After South Carolina’s win Sunday against Florida, I likened watching the Gamecocks’ Final Four run to running into an ex-girlfriend from college, only to find out she became a model and won the lottery. From what I’ve heard and read on social media, I think plenty of Wildcat fans would share that sentiment. However, while I can’t speak for everyone, the majority seem legitimately happy to see Martin still coaching into April.

While many K-State fans – myself included – would much rather see Martin in a purple suit than a garnet one Saturday in Phoenix, I know he deserves every bit of success he’s had and will continue to have. Enjoy the ride and enjoy your coach, Gamecock fans. He truly is one of the best in the business.

Justin Nutter, Kansas State ‘10