Gamecocks take series over Alabama in Schmidt's return

South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook's hunch to insert Riley Hogan into the Gamecocks' lineup paid off in the series finale against Alabama.  

The freshman reached base three times and collected two hits, including a key RBI-double as the Gamecocks earned a 4-2 win in the rubber game. 

"It was big for Riley, a freshman," Holbrook said. "His BPs looked great, and that kind of gave me the gut to go with him today and he certainly delivered for us."

Alabama right-hander Nick Eicholtz labored with his command and walked eight batters, granting seven free passes in the first four innings. The senior located less than half of his total pitches for strikes, but the Gamecocks failed to capitalize on Eicholtz's struggles. 

South Carolina grounded into a double play in each of its first three innings. In the bottom of the second right fielder Danny Blair drew a bases loaded walk on four pitches to give the Gamecocks an early 1-0 advantage. Madison Stokes bounced into a costly double play that eliminated the opportunity for South Carolina to post a crooked inning. 

After missing a start with an oblique strain, South Carolina right-hander Clarke Schmidt returned to the mound, working six innings on 72 pitches. 

"I felt real good," Schmidt said. "My goal was to go out there and get outs and I knew I was on a pitch count to start off. I wanted to go out there and work quick and get some ground balls, and I did that."

Schmidt lived on the fringes of the strike zone for most of the start, frequently working ahead in the count, locating both his fastball and secondary offerings for strikes. The preseason All-American recorded five strikeouts and zero walks. 

Through five innings Alabama had little to show for in the way of hard contact off of Schmidt, mustering just two hits. Center fielder Gene Wood entered the game as one of only three hitters in the Crimson Tide's lineup without a home run this season, but he connected with a fastball that ran a little too far back over the plate. The solo home run marked just the second home run Schmidt has allowed this season. 

The Gamecocks struggled to hit with runners on base in each of the first two games of the series, and they started just 1-7 on Sunday. When designated hitter Riley Hogan came to the plate in the bottom of the sixth with a runner on, the Gamecocks were hitting just .222 in that scenario in the series. Hogan laced a double to left center that enabled South Carolina to regain the lead. 

Alabama first baseman Cody Henry greeted South Carolina freshman right-hander Colby Lee with a deep solo home run to start the bottom of the seventh inning. The home run was Alabama's fifth of the series. 

South Carolina retook the lead, for good this time, in the bottom of the seventh. Blair started the inning with a double to right center. Alabama reliever Garrett Suchey committed a throwing error when fielding a sac-bunt by Stokes, allowing Blair to score. The Gamecocks added an insurance run on a sac-fly from third baseman Jonah Bride. 

South Carolina relievers Colie Bowers and John Parke provided the Gamecocks with 2 2/3 scoreless innings out of the pen. Bowers earned his third save of the season. 

The Gamecocks improved to 5-1 in the SEC and have earned two series wins in conference play. They will travel to the Citadel for their midweek matchup on Tuesday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 pm.