Despite SEC tournament loss, Gamecocks well-positioned for March Madness

Despite an early departure in the SEC Tournament, South Carolina probably did enough during the regular season to earn its first NCAA Tournament bid since 2004. Probably.

After compiling a 12-6 regular season conference record, the second most SEC wins for the Gamecocks in program history, ESPN's Joe Lunardi projected the Gamecocks as a No. 7 seed for the tournament in his most recent bracket. However, with a one-and-done showing in the SEC tournament for a second consecutive season, there will once again be the potential for drama.

Prior to South Carolina's 64-53 loss to Alabama in the quarterfinals, Martin said that he was confident in the Gamecocks' tournament aspirations. 

"But I felt that way last year, too," Martin said, "Now, our so-called resume is a little different this year. The numbers are better."

In 2016 the Gamecocks were the first power-five conference team since 2002 not to earn an invitation to the NCAA Tournament after winning at least 24 games. South Carolina earned a double-bye, but lost to Georgia in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament to enter Selection Sunday having dropped six in an 11 game stretch. 

South Carolina has now lost six of its last nine contests after starting 9-1 in the SEC. 

"My feeling hasn't changed," Martin said after Friday's defeat, "We lost to a good team. We didn't lose to a team with a 300 RPI."

"All I can do is control what I can control, and that's just getting in the gym and making shots and working on my game," said senior guard Sindarius Thornwell as he waits for the committee's decision. "Whatever we're playing in or whoever we're playing, I can be better for my team and make better plays."

The No. 33 RPI in the nation positions South Carolina comfortably in the middle of the 68-team tournament field. Still, the Gamecocks were outrebounded by a 42-27 margin against Alabama, and their start to the post-season provided Martin with reason to be concerned. 

"We got a bunch of really good kids on our team," Martin said. "I need guys that got a little bit more dog in them. I'm just telling you the truth."

The committee will unveil their ruling on South Carolina's worthiness on March 12 at 5:30 p.m. The official broadcast can be viewed on CBS and streamed on NCAA.com.