Crowe leads Gamecocks to series win over Spartans Saturday

For the third time this season, Wil Crowe’s commanding pitching led the No. 10 South Carolina baseball team (11-5) to a series victory and put it in position for a series sweep.

The starting right-hander tied a season-high nine strikeouts and gave up three hits, as the Gamecocks cruised to a 5-2 victory over Michigan State at Founders Park Saturday.

“The story of the game obviously was our pitching again,” coach Chad Holbrook said.

"Wil got in a little bit of a rhythm there and he just had a great fastball early. Then, he just started pitching in the middle innings and using all of his pitches. His changeup was really big for the left-handed hitters there and his breaking ball was pretty consistent the whole game.” 

Offensively, first baseman Matt Williams led the Gamecocks with three hits, including his first home run of the season. The junior, who has found success hitting to both sides of the field, has reached base in 14 consecutive games.

“Ninety percent of the pitches we get are off the play away, so I just try to get on the dish, try to serve the ball to the other side of the field, use the whole part of the field,” Williams said. “I try to use the whole field and just work the count. I don’t mind hitting with two strikes.”

The Gamecocks jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning. Right fielder Jacob Olson drew a 3-2 walk and advanced to third on Williams’ single up the middle. Williams advanced to second on a wild pitch from Michigan State starting pitcher Ethan Landon, who was credited with the loss Saturday. Left fielder Alex Destino, who leads the Gamecocks with 14 RBIs, singled to center field to score both baserunners.

The Spartans answered in the second inning. Designated hitter and starting Friday night pitcher Alex Troop hit his first home run of the season off Crowe to cut Michigan State's deficit to one. 

“I think I overthrew it a little bit. I was going to throw a two-seam and got behind it and it kind of just rose and stayed middle and he put a good swing on it,” Crowe said of Troop. “It wasn’t a great pitch at all, but I just wanted to stay down in the zone and throw my pitches with authority.” 

Most of the Gamecocks’ offensive production came in the fifth inning, led off by Williams’ solo home run to right field. Following back-to-back walks from designated hitter Chris Cullen and Destino, third baseman Jonah Bride bunted to advance both baserunners up one bag. Second baseman LT Tolbert scored both Gamecocks with a double down the right-field line -- his first double of the season.

Left-handed pitcher Josh Reagan was credited with the save after coming in to relieve Crowe in the seventh inning and giving up one run. Second baseman Dan Durkin singled up the right side, advanced to third on a muffed throw by Williams and scored on a sacrifice groundout to put the Spartans within three. Reagan limited MSU to two hits and one run, and tallied two strikeouts over 2.1 innings pitched. 

"I have all of the confidence in Josh. He's got great stuff and he got me out of the inning," Crowe said. 

Up next

With the win, South Carolina is in position to complete its first sweep of the season at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Right-hander Adam Hill (0-2, 1.56 ERA) will make his third start of the season for the Gamecocks.