Column: 3 teams Gamecocks don't want to see in Greenville

It wasn't the smoothest of roads, but the Gamecocks got it done.

The South Carolina women's basketball team managed to claim its fourth straight SEC regular season title after unexpectedly dropping a pair of conference games down the stretch. The conference has some legitimate challengers this season, including Mississippi State, a top-10 team for the majority of the season.

Now, as the Gamecocks look to win a third consecutive conference tournament, they'll have to navigate through a competitive SEC. Let's take a look at the three teams that will give South Carolina the most trouble in Greenville this weekend. 

No. 2 Mississippi State

South Carolina can avoid the Bulldogs until the final, where the teams could square off for the second straight season. The Gamecocks eked out a 64-61 home win against their newest challenger in January, and Mississippi State proved it could match up. Victoria Vivians had just 12 points on 16 shots in that contest, but she's a bona fide star in the conference, and she's surrounded by talented upperclassmen in Chinwe Okorie, Morgan William and Dominique Dillingham.

The Bulldogs got some postseason experience last year as they reached the Sweet 16, and the combination of skill, size (particularly if Alaina Coates is out or limited) and experience makes them the Gamecocks' most formidable threat for the podium.

No. 4 Kentucky

Kentucky has been a consistent challenger to the Gamecocks during their rise to national prominence, but the Wildcats haven't beaten South Carolina since the regular season finale in 2015, losing the last five meetings between the two teams. Still, Kentucky has experienced All-SEC guard Makayla Epps and two 6-foot-3 bigs in Evelyn Akhator and Alyssa Rice, who have the size to handle the South Carolina frontcourt.

Even though the Gamecocks have owned the Wildcats over the past two seasons, Kentucky and head coach Matthew Mitchell have generally played South Carolina tight, and this weekend shouldn't be any different. However, the Wildcats don't have an easy road to a potential semifinal matchup with the Gamecocks, as they'll most likely have to go through...

No. 5 Tennessee

Unlike Kentucky, Tennessee topped the Gamecocks this season, edging out a two-point victory in Colonial Life Arena in the only meeting between the two this season. Like the other two teams on this list, the Volunteers have a legitimate star in Diamond DeShields, who ranks fourth in the conference with 17.3 points per game. 

The Vols beat South Carolina by playing efficiently, shooting 49 percent from the field, committing just nine turnovers and hitting 15 shots from the free throw line. Coates and A'ja Wilson were in foul trouble all night, and Tennessee got big performances from DeShields, Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell, who combined for 64 of the team's 76 points. 

If the Gamecocks win Friday to advance to the semifinals, they'll face either the Wildcats or the Volunteers. Advancing would likely mean seeing Mississippi State in the finals. 

Just like the regular season, it could be a bumpy road for the Gamecocks if Dawn Staley is to lead them to a third straight tournament trophy.