Wilson wins title for grandmother and home state

When the final buzzer sounded Sunday night, A’ja Wilson dropped to her knees and started bawling.

The South Carolina leading scorer had just secured the program's first national championship in a season she had dedicated to her late grandmother.

“She was my pride and joy. She still is my pride and joy, and she really helped me through tough times and adversity,” Wilson said. “For her to just be up there in heaven, sitting a front row seat to this game, I hope she’s cheering for joy. It’s just kind of a great feeling to do this for her.” 

The junior forward’s grandmother passed away in October, an event that caused the SEC Player of the Year to consider giving up basketball. But Wilson persevered through one of the darkest times of her life, knowing her grandmother would’ve been proud to see the way the Gamecocks played on the final stage.

“She probably would’ve told me to stop crying. She always told me to stop crying. Obviously, I’m a sensitive person,” Wilson said with a laugh. “She was a big fan of mine and was just always there for me.” 

Wilson, who was named the Most Outstanding Player of the tournament, scored 23 points Sunday, leading the Gamecocks past Mississippi State and securing the program’s first-ever national title.

As the No. 1 women’s high school basketball prospect in 2014, Wilson chose to stay in her home state and play for Dawn Staley's Gamecocks. As she brings the program its first-ever championship, she said she now knows how Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James feels.

“I know LeBron has had a great feeling for him to come back home and win this ring, because this feeling is phenomenal. I’m numb to it all. I can’t even put into words how great this feeling truly is just to bring something back to your state, something positive. It’s just great,” Wilson said.

After the final seconds ticked off the scoreboard, Wilson was joined by teammates Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis, who crouched down and embraced her in bear-like hugs. 

“It touched my heart to see her crying,” Gray said. “As soon as the buzzer sounded, I knew I wanted to see my teammates and I immediately looked for her because I was like ‘I told you I was not going to let us lose this game.’” 

Gray, who is Wilson's best friend and roommate, said the two had a heart-to-heart Saturday night before the national championship game. They discussed how far the team had come and how it didn’t deserve to end the year with a loss. By contributing a double-double of 18 points and 10 rebounds toward the Gamecocks' win, Gray upheld her promise. 

"She knows me as a person, she knows I really get down on myself. I really get emotional over things that I love," Wilson said. "Really she just kept a positive mind within me."

Wilson scored three-straight baskets in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, giving the Gamecocks a 14-point lead. After the first basket, the All-American turned toward her teammates on the bench, pumped her fist into the air and let out a yell. Her teammates stood up in support, knowing the hometown hero had put them on their way to a national title.

“Usually when she scores, she turns around and yells and you’re like ‘Oh we’re good, give it to her and we’re going to roll with it,’" Davis said. “She’s just found a way to come into her own as a leader, and I think this year that’s one thing she’s done that really well."

“I’m proud of just the way she’s evolved throughout the year," she said.