New chapters well-primed for first Greek Week

This week is an exciting time for fraternity and sorority members as Greek Week, a series of events intended to unite Greek organizations in friendly competition, is currently under way. This is an especially important time for the two newest USC chapters: fraternity Phi Kappa Tau and sorority Alpha Xi Delta. Both chapters are using this time to reach out to the rest of the Greek community. 

Jillian Gross, a second-year marine science student and Alpha Xi Delta's Greek Week chair said that it's a fun time to get involved and learn what being in Greek life is about. 

"I just want everyone to see what Greek Week is, and we're really encouraging them to go because it's the first time we're going to be in Greek Week and so we just want to have a good presence there," Gross said. 

Alpha Xi Delta is teamed up with Chi Psi, Theta Chi, and Alpha Kappa Alpha. Gross stressed that the main purpose is to forge bonds with the other groups on campus. 

"We haven't really made relationships with other chapters yet and now we're actually getting out there and meeting people," Gross said. 

Marena Sutton, a first-year mechanical engineering student, and Catherine Goodwin, a first-year international studies student, said that they were both initially hesitant to rush a sorority but are now glad to be involved in Alpha Xi Delta. 

"I really didn't want to be in a sorority when I was in high school and my older sister went here and she said one of her biggest regrets going here was not being involved with Greek life," Goodwin said. Both agreed that their impressions of Alpha Xi Delta convinced them that Greek life was right for them.

"I gave it a shot and everybody was super sweet to me I didn't feel overwhelmed," Sutton said. 

The members of Phi Kappa Tau, who are partnered with the members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Gamma Phi Beta, and Delta Sigma Theta, are equally excited for the opportunity to bond with other groups. 

"We have been actively trying to develop good working relationships with other organizations and greek week has provided a wonderful environment to foster this sort of growth," said chapter president Stephen Pollock, a second-year real estate and finance student. Pollock said that being part of a new chapter is a unique and beneficial experience. 

"One of my favorite parts of being in Phi Kappa Tau is how new we are as an organization. It provides all of us with an awesome chance to lay the groundwork for the fraternity and prepare for personal and professional success in the future," Pollock said. 

Both organizations hope to continue to participate in Greek activities in the future.