Red Hot Chili Peppers heat up Columbia

The Red Hot Chili Peppers played a show Wednesday night at Colonial Life Arena. The band is currently touring for their most recent release, “The Getaway."

Opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers were Jack Irons, the founding drummer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and former member of Pearl Jam, and BABYMETAL, an all-girl Japanese metal band.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers took the stage around 9 p.m. and dazzled the crowd with their energy and compelling performance. The rock group sang some of their hits, such as “Dani California” and “By the Way,” mixed with songs from their newest album.

The Getaway tour is the first time the Chili Peppers have been on tour since 2014, but the two-year absence didn’t show. Bassist Flea and guitarist Josh Klinghoffer started the show with an improvised instrumental, and continued to take time for solos in between songs throughout the show.

Flea even managed to get in a few words about the women’s basketball National Championship and the uniqueness of Sindarius Thornwell’s name. Audience members appreciated his interest in the South Carolina’s basketball teams and even started a Gamecock chant between songs.

When lead singer Anthony Kiedis wasn’t at the microphone, he joined the other band members in jumping around the stage and encouraging the crowd to become a part of the songs.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers played an energetic, mesmerizing performance and many long-time fans, identified through hole-y, worn asterisk shirts, were buzzing with excitement after their last encore.

“They came out right when I was in high school,” said fan Rene Hardy. “I can’t remember anything they sang, I just remember I loved everything they sang.”