Gamecocks stand firm against Furman, earn 20th win of season

Furman struck first, but the South Carolina baseball team scored six unanswered runs to earn its 20th win of the season Tuesday night.

Shortstop LT Tolbert tied his career-high with three RBIs and went 2-for-4 at the plate, lifting the Gamecocks past the Paladins, 6-1, at Founders Park.

“He’s confident,” coach Chad Holbrook said of Tolbert. “He’s attacking the ball instead of, you know, he’s not on his heels. He’s getting a good pitch and putting a good swing on it.”

Gamecocks starting pitcher Cody Morris (2-0) gave up one earned run and four hits over five innings to earn the win. While he said he didn’t have a great feel for his offspeed pitches in Tuesday's outing, the right-hander tied his career-high with 82 pitches and struck out three.

“I didn’t really have great stuff tonight. I threw a few good changeups, a few good sliders in there, but mostly fastball,” Morris said. “It helps that even with not great stuff you can go out there and that’s what I wanted to do tonight is just give us a chance to win.”

Leading off the first inning, Furman right fielder Landon Kay singled to center and stole second on a wild pitch. He was advanced to third on a groundout from left fielder Carter Grote. A wild pitch from Morris advanced him home, scoring Furman’s first and only run of the game.

The Gamecocks scored their first run in the second inning. Catcher Chris Cullen was hit by a pitch and stole two bases on back-to back wild pitches. Left fielder Alex Destino drew a 3-1 walk, putting Gamecock baserunners on the corners. Tolbert singled to center field, scoring Cullen and tying the game 1-1. His RBI single extended his hitting streak to seven games.

“I think I’ve had confidence the whole season,” Tolbert said. “Obviously, when you do get a hit, you get confidence but I’ve really gotten more confidence just because I’m doing more to help this team win and when I’m doing that I feel more productive and it makes me feel like a better player.”

The Gamecocks took their first lead of the game in the fourth inning. Right fielder Jacob Olson singled through the left side, stole second and was advanced to third on Tolbert’s long flyout to center field. Second baseman Justin Row took a pitch off his back to put Gamecock baserunners on the corners with two outs. Designated hitter Carlos Cortes doubled to center field, scoring Row and Olson, and the Gamecocks took a 3-1 lead.

In the fifth inning, the Gamecock offense gained momentum and tacked on three runs. First baseman Matt Williams drew a one-out walk and Cullen doubled to left center, putting runners on second and third. Destino singled to right field, bringing home Williams and making the score 4-1 in USC’s favor. Destino stole second and the hot-hitter Tolbert padded USC’s lead with a two-RBI single to center field that scored Cullen from third and Destino from second.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Colby Lee came in to relieve Morris in the sixth. He gave up no runs and just one hit, and retired 10 straight batters over 3.1 innings pitched.

The Gamecock offense compiled 10 hits on Furman’s pitching staff, including eight on starter Hunter Baker. With just one batter striking out, Holbrook said he was pleased with the Gamecocks’ patient approach at the plate.

“We’re doing better. We’re doing better. The strikeouts have cut down and we’ve done some nice things offensively against some really good arms prior to tonight,” Holbrook said. “We’re gelling a bit offensively. We’ve got to continue to get better, but we’re doing OK.”

Up next:

The Gamecocks will continue their SEC slate with a three-game series against Vanderbilt, beginning at 7 p.m. Thursday.