Cheap summer excursions

The Biltmore Estate, Asheville, N.C., a few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway.(Chris Reynolds/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Feel like you’re stuck in Columbia all summer? No worries! Here are some ideas for quick, cheap getaways!

DuPont Falls

Cedar Mountain, NC

If you’re the outdoorsy type, head up to DuPont Falls where lovely waterfalls and hiking trails of various lengths reside. After only a 2-hour and 45-minute drive, any visitor can enjoy the fresh air and luscious foliage of the DuPont State Recreational Forest for free. Pack a lunch, have a picnic and bring your furry friend along on the adventure. For more information, visit www.dupontforest.com.

Biltmore Estate

Asheville, NC

All summer, kids 16 and under have free admission at the Biltmore Estate. Enjoy the winery, outdoor concerts and 8,000-acre backyard. Opportunities for kayaking, horseback riding, biking and exploration by Segway are also available for Biltmore guests. 

Offerings for brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner across the estate are expanded during the summer months. Between meals, you can enjoy behind-the-scenes tours as well as complimentary wine tastings.
To get your tickets, visit www.biltmore.com.

11th Annual Music City Hot Chicken Festival 

Nashville, TN

What better way to spend the Fourth of July than surrounded by great food and fireworks? Head to Nashville to experience the festival that hosts many local vendors who serve Hot Chicken preceded by a fun Fire Truck Parade. What is Hot Chicken? It's Nashville’s signature dish that is composed of breaded chicken and sliced pickles; each with their own variation of sauce. After you’ve had your fill of chicken and beverages, follow the crowd downtown for the annual firework display. To attend this free event, visit www.hot-chicken.com for directions.

Walking Tour: The Touring Dead

Woodbury and Alexandria, Georgia

Fan of the hit show “The Walking Dead?” Check out this two-hour guided tour of various filming locations from seasons three through six. For only $25 a person, enjoy behind-the-scenes information,and try to spot walkers and stars from the series as they continue to shoot season six. Snag your tickets at www.viator.com.