Sindarius Thornwell, PJ Dozier to square off in Summer League debut

Lonzo Ball may be the reason that Friday's Lakers-Clippers Summer League opener is on ESPN, but he won't be the reason South Carolina fans will be tuning in.

Gamecock nation will be focused on two other guards: Sindarius Thornwell, who was drafted No. 48 and traded to the Clippers, and PJ Dozier, an undrafted free agent who signed with the Lakers.

By virtue of getting drafted, it was thought that Thornwell would have the easier road to the NBA roster of the two. But after the Clippers acquired seven players, including four wings, in a trade for Chris Paul, roster spots may be hard to come by. Thornwell will be playing alongside fellow rookie Jawun Evans, who was selected nine spots ahead of the Lancaster native.

The Clippers' 2016 first round pick Brice Johnson, who is similar to Thornwell, as both were college standouts with limited NBA upside, played more minutes in the D-League than he did with the NBA club last season.

South Carolina head coach Frank Martin said last week that Thornwell is a good fit in Los Angeles for what the Clippers are trying to do.

“Everything is about fit and what Sindarius is great at, which is helping you win, is something very important to Doc Rivers, Lawrence Frank and the people running that organization,” Martin said.

Dozier is listed as a forward on the Lakers' roster, meaning he could play alongside notable guards like Ball, All-American Josh Hart and former D-League MVP Vander Blue. Dozier is just one of four forwards on the roster, including last year's No. 2 pick Brandon Ingram, so he could see significant time on the court.

Martin spoke about Dozier's situation last week, expressing confidence in his former five-star recruit and comparing him to some of his other former players such as Udonis Haslem and JJ Barea, a pair of undrafted guys who became NBA champions. Martin thinks the Lakers' style of play will be good for Dozier.

"I think it’s a good place for him. Luke Walton wants to play fast,” Martin said. “PJ in the open court is real good. His style of play fits, and he’s a big guard. If you’re a big guard, there is a door to stay open for you. It’s up to him to run through it.”

Thornwell and Dozier will begin their professional basketball journeys at 8:30 p.m. Friday. The game will be broadcast live from Las Vegas on ESPN.