Column: South Carolina fans should set sights higher than bowl berth

Following South Carolina's narrow victory over Louisiana Tech, a number of articles and blog posts mentioned what South Carolina would need to do to qualify for a bowl game. 

South Carolina probably will not win the SEC title this year. There is a very good chance that the Gamecocks will not win the SEC East division. However, there is no reason why South Carolina fans should only hope for a bowl game appearance. 

South Carolina football is by no means dominant or very consistent, but the team has talented, skillful players and the ability to win big games, like the win over NC State in the season-opener. Fans should cautiously hope for and expect a season better than 6-6.

While the offense has issues, including injuries to offensive lineman Zack Bailey and wide receiver Deebo Samuel, it is still talented and potent enough to break out in any given game. The offense includes Jake Bentley, one of the top quarterbacks in the SEC East, a talented receiver corps and arguably one of the best tight ends in the country, Hayden Hurst. 

While the kicking game is a problem — which may or may not be fixed — the defense has been solid. There is enough talent and execution on this Gamecocks team for fans to hope, albeit cautiously, for a season with eight wins.

Other than Georgia, the SEC East looks to be relatively average. South Carolina can take advantage of that.

If the team can rebound from the Kentucky loss and the underwhelming Louisiana Tech win, there is potential for a solid season and at least an honest attempt at the SEC East title. Georgia is a major roadblock for the Gamecocks to win the SEC East, but the Gamecocks can propel themselves to eight wins this year and gain momentum for next season. There aren't many games remaining on the schedule that can be looked at as definite wins, but all are winnable, even if some would take herculean efforts. 

The bottom line is that South Carolina fans should not settle for a 6-6 season. From their motto, "Beat the East, win the state," it's clear head coach Will Muschamp and the football team have higher hopes.

So should the fan base. 

The program, while recovering from truly bottoming out in 2015 with a 3-9 record and a stinging loss to the Citadel, seems to be on an upward trajectory, with a ceiling that is much higher given the new improvements to the football facilities and a renewed focus on recruiting and development. 

Former head coach Steve Spurrier led the Gamecocks to an SEC East title and won 11 games for three straight seasons. Muschamp has done an excellent job of establishing a solid base on which to rebuild the program while simultaneously doing everything in his power to win and compete now. 

Fans should reward the team’s efforts with an acknowledgement of its successes and an expectation of improvement. 

The Gamecocks are good enough to meet those expectations.