Limiting Kyle Shurmer, Vanderbilt offense key for Gamecocks

The South Carolina football team returns home after a big Tennessee win and a much needed bye week to face the Vanderbilt Commodores. 

This will be the 27th all-time meeting between these two teams, and the Gamecocks lead the series 22-4, including a current streak of eight straight wins. The last time these two teams met, the Gamecocks won on the road during head coach Will Muschamp’s first game at South Carolina, 13-10. The highlights of the game included Bryan Edwards recording 101 receiving yards in his first college game, and Elliott Fry kicking his career long 55-yard field goal to seal the game.

With the Gamecocks now being 5-2 and second in the SEC East, they are on track to impress the rest of the conference and show they have the ability to contend for a division title. The Football Power Index gives The Gamecocks an 83.5 percent chance to beat the Commodores at home. Statistically, the Gamecocks outrank the Commodores in every major category except passing yards allowed per game.

This doesn’t mean Vanderbilt should be counted out. 

The Commodores may be 0-4 in the SEC, but that includes games at home against No. 1 Alabama and No. 3 Georgia. It also includes two road games against Ole Miss and Jim McElwain's ranked Florida squad. Vanderbilt also recorded a big 14-7 win over No. 18 Kansas State on Sept. 16.

Players to watch for the Gamecocks include Jake Bentley, D.J. Wonnum and Hayden Hurst. Bentley has played seven games this year, which is the number he played last year in total. He has shown major signs of improvement. Last year, he passed for 1,420 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions. Through seven games this year, he has thrown for 1,585 yards, 12 touchdowns and four interceptions. He accomplished all this while achieving a 9-5 record as a starter. 

Wonnum is a breakout defensive lineman who was named the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week for two weeks in a row after his spectacular performances against Tennessee and Arkansas. In those two games alone, he recorded 10 tackles, two sacks and two passes defended. He was awarded Defensive Lineman of the Week for his dominant presence on the field and by forcing turnovers with quarterback pressures. 

Hurst is the 6-foot-5, 250-pound tight end for the Gamecocks who proved he is one of the best tight ends in the nation with his school record setting performance of 48 receptions last year. He has continued to show his dominance this year by combining his size and speed to make The Athletic’s midseason first team All-SEC team. His most impressive play of the year was a career long 62-yard touchdown reception against Arkansas.

The Gamecocks will look to limit the Vanderbilt offense and continue to play impressive defense in critical situations. Vanderbilt's Kyle Shurmur and Ralph Webb will look to bring back the explosive offense they were supposed to have all year. If history proves correct, the Gamecocks will win this one. Of all FBS teams the Gamecocks have faced at least 10 times, they have the best win percentage against Vanderbilt at 84.6.