"Patient-Centered" care designation point of pride for Health Services

The new Center for Health and Well-Being is an impressive building, but as a “Patient-Centered Medical Home" the increased level of care goes beyond the structure.

Deborah Beck, the executive director of Student Health Services, explained that at its core, the Center is about providing better care.

“Basically, it's just a concept where we're providing a more holistic approach to healthcare so that we're treating the whole patient, not the symptom or not the illness,” she said.  

In order to be an official "Patient-Centered Medical Home," more than 750 standards must be met. The system of treatment is based off of five aspects of having a patient-centered care: patient-provider relationship, continuity of care, comprehensiveness of care, quality of care and accessibility. 

One concept that makes this facility different is its incorporation of biophilia —  the idea of blending the body and nature. 

Examples of this are the variety of plants placed throughout the facility, as well as multi-walled window panels, sky lights and specifically chosen Earth toned colors. These colors were an intentional touch because research shows they are the most relaxing for humans.

According to Beck, all of these architectural and artistic touches were chosen to promote healing and reduce anxiety and stress. 

"Our goal here is student success, so whatever we can do to keep students healthy, and establish healthy habits, great consumers of healthcare in the future, that’s what our distinction is," she said.

In order to do so, the Center for Health and Well-Being contains the three most commonly visited medical specialties: Primary Care, Women's Health and Mental Health. In the Primary Care Unit, there are five board certified general medicine, family medicine and emergency medicine physicians, as well as associated physician assistants and nurse practitioners. 

The Women’s Health department staffs two board certified gynecologists, as well as three to four nurse practitioners. 

Mental Health, which is staffed by two full time psychiatrists, a physician assistant, a case manager, 29 counselors and nurse practitioner, will be housed in the Thomson Building along with Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention. Renovations to that facility are expected to be completed this fall.

There is also an in-house pharmacy, X-ray laboratory, sports medicine clinic with physical therapists and athletic trainers and three laboratories for specimen processing. 

The idea is to have a comprehensive approach to medicine, where patients, upon registration, are assigned a care team: Dogwood, Magnolia, Oak or Pine. This multi-disciplined team becomes the patient’s regular providers, and patients are able to see providers from their specific team every time they visit. The goal is to emphasize a patient-provider relationship as well as well-rounded communication, where one provider can connect with the patient’s other medical providers back home so that a consistent medical record is kept and no services are duplicated. 

Ultimately, the Center for Health and Well-Being's goal is to serve the students. 

“Our philosophy is to take the services to the patient, not the patient to the services," Beck said.