Scouting Arkansas: Austin Allen presents "talented arm"

Arkansas Razorbacks quarterback Austin Allen (8) looking for a receiver in the first quarter against the Texas A&M Aggies on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 in the Southwest Classic in Arlington, Texas. (Paul Moseley/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Facing its second straight SEC West opponent, the South Carolina football team looks to bounce back after a tough loss toTexas A&M in College Station. 

Meanwhile, the Razorbacks look to win their second straight game after beating New Mexico State last Saturday.

South Carolina and Arkansas have not met since 2013 when South Carolina dismantled Arkansas, 52-7. Arkansas holds the series advantage over the Gamecocks, 13-9. 

What to expect from Arkansas

The Razorbacks rely heavily on the play of quarterback Austin Allen. Allen has thrown for 766 yards and seven scores in only four games for the Razorbacks this season, demonstrationg why he is a top signal-caller in the SEC. 

Head coach Will Muschamp spoke highly of Allen in his weekly press conference, saying, “Austin Allen is an outstanding thrower, really a talented arm. He’s a guy that’s really played well in our league.” 

Muschamp knows the Gamecock defense could potentially have its hands full with Allen and his passing attack. Allen has talented weapons to throw the ball to, including his favorite target, Jonathan Nance. Nance has 15 catches for 258 yards and four scores on the season. Look for Allen to lean on his go-to receiver heavily in this match up.

Devwah Whaley, Chase Hayden and David Williams serve as the Razorbacks' primary ball carriers. All have amassed more than 200 yards this season. Williams, a South Carolina transfer, will be returning to Williams-Brice Stadium for the first time since his departure. Look for Williams to run hard and angry against the Gamecock defensive unit.

Defensively, the Razorbacks present a solid unit. They have surrendered only 27 points per game this season. Defensive back Santos Ramirez has been one of the strongest players for the defense. He has broken up four passes, intercepted one and forced a fumble and has 16 tackles on the season. 

What to expect from South Carolina

The Gamecock offense was rolling mid-way through last Saturday’s game against Texas A&M. Quarterback Jake Bentley made some big throws under pressure, and the offense seemed to be clicking. Then, the offensive line began to lose steam, and Bentley was under constant pressure. The injury-ridden offensive line has been a low point for this team, and with the weapons and potential the Gamecocks have, it’s a shame. Look for the Gamecocks to use a running back or tight end as an extra blocker for Bentley on offense this week. 

Wide receivers Bryan Edwards, Shi Smith and OrTre Smith have filled in well for injured star Deebo Samuel, who Muschamp said is out of his cast and "coming along well" on Tuesday. Expect these wide outs to keep performing at a high level for the Gamecock offense. Hayden Hurst, who caught six passes for 76 yards against Texas A&M, has received more targets and played well at the tight end position.