Vollyball still searching for first win under interim head coach

After losing in five sets at home to Georgia and being swept at Arkansas, the South Carolina volleyball team looked to give interim head coach Dottie Hampton her first win as a head coach at South Carolina on Sunday.

The team was unsuccessful, being swept by Ole Miss at Carolina Volleyball Center, with set scores of 25-21, 25-22 and 25-19.

Changing coaches in the middle of the season can be an adjustment for any athlete. Freshman Mikayla Robinson said her fellow teammates are “adjusting well," with sophomore Mikayla Shields and senior Abreia Epps leading the way in the locker room. 

Going forward Robinson said blocking is a big part of the team's most recent struggles on the court and that the team needs to be more confident.

“Once we get the mentality that we know we're going to win, then we`re going to win," Robinson said. "We just need to get that confidence back up.” 

When asked about some of the difference in styles between coach Scott Swanson and herself, Hampton said she did not change much.

“I don’t think there's too many differences," Hampton said. "There's not that much of a difference between him and me.” 

Despite not having a win under her belt, Hampton has seen some positives. 

“I can see the work on the floor, like we've gotten better in a few areas,” Hampton said. 

The Gamecocks' next game is Wednesday when they visit Auburn. With a 9-9 overall record, they will look to get back above .500 overall in search of their third SEC win.