Gamecocks defend late second half rally to defeat UTEP

The South Carolina men's basketball team defeated UTEP, 80-56, at the HTC Center in Conway, South Carolina.

The Gamecocks led the whole game, with their largest lead being 32 points. Chris Silva led the Gamecocks with 15 points, while adding seven rebounds, two blocks and a steal. Freshman Justin Minaya had a career-high 14 points while adding three rebounds, three assists and a steal.

The Gamecocks started out strong leading 7-2 heading into the first timeout. South Carolina created separation after a 13-0 run, which eventually led to a 28-12 lead. Silva ended the first half with 11 points along with his second career 3-pointer. 

The Gamecock defense swarmed the Miners, forcing 23 turnovers. The Gamecocks had their largest lead of 26 in the first half, leading 50-24 with 55 seconds left. Minaya finished the first half with his career high of 10 points. Hassani Gravett tied his career high of six assists in the first half alone. The Gamecocks had better offensive rhythm in the first half shooting 55 percent from the field and just below 38 percent on 3-pointers.

The Gamecocks spread their scoring around between their starters and their bench with 24 points off the bench. The second half saw some offensive struggles with the Gamecocks turning the ball over nine times and letting the Miners get within a 30-point deficit. However, the Gamecocks finished strong, shooting 47 percent and making eight total 3-pointers.

Head coach Frank Martin talked about the newcomers and the off-the-bench players who stepped up, including Jason Cudd. Cudd has seen increased playing time this year, and he’s adapting to the fast-paced college basketball atmosphere, Martin said. 

"I think Jason’s gonna be a real good player," Martin said. "He’s tried to make the adjustment to the strength and the speed of college basketball ... He’s got great hands, great footwork. What I like the most about him is that when I coach him, he don’t pout.”

The Gamecocks improved to 3-1 on the season and will play again Sunday against the winner of Appalachian State and Western Michigan in the consolation finals. They will look to make a comeback after a disappointing loss to Illinois State who “didn’t reinvent the wheel with the offense they ran,” according to Martin.