Gamecocks remain undefeated after win over Wofford

The South Carolina women's basketball team didn't let an early deficit to Wofford stand in its way from a win.

The Gamecocks trailed by four points at the end of the first quarter, but came away with a 94-60 win at Colonial Life Arena on Sunday.

Wofford came out of the gates red hot, shooting 47 percent from the floor as well and a perfect 100 percent from behind the arc in the first quarter. South Carolina matched Wofford by shooting a solid 50 percent from the floor, while outrebounding the Terriers 13-to-6. Despite the strong start from Wofford, the Gamecocks dominated on the defensive side of the ball from the second quarter on.

After the first quarter, the Terriers struggled to produce on offense. The size of the Gamecock players gave Wofford several problems with both passing and shooting the ball. Wofford cooled down dramatically after the first quarter, only shooting 19 percent from the field in the second quarter. 

South Carolina continued its strong offensive play, finishing the first half with 49 points on 55 percent shooting and 11 assists. Alexis Jennings made her presence known in the paint with 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the floor, along with four boards. Lindsey Spann was also instrumental in facilitating the ball, accounting for six of the Gamecocks 11 first-half assists. 

The second half was much of the same for the Gamecocks. 

Taking care of business, they fed the ball to A’ja Wilson and Jennings, who accounted for more than half of the Gamecocks interior scoring. Not only were Wilson and Jennings dominant in scoring the ball, but they were equally as dominant rebounding. 

The Gamecocks out rebounded the Terriers 48-to-27 with Wilson racking up 13 boards. The Gamecocks finished with 20 assists on 36 made baskets. 

The Gamecocks' next matchup is against Rutgers at 1:30 p.m. Friday in the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, Florida.