Hayden Hurst reflects on unique path to South Carolina football

Hayden Hurst is one of the most well-known names on the South Carolina football team, but the 6-foot-5, 250-pound tight end took a unique path to lead him to where he is today.

For Hurst, sports was always his passion growing up. There was not a question to whether he wanted to play at the college or professional level. 

“I knew that it would be some sort of professional sport,” Hurst said. “Whether it be baseball or football, it was always my dream.” 

His passion for baseball came first when he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, but football soon began to grab the attention of the former pitcher. Hurst’s childhood memories of football soon became a reality for himself with the help of quarterback Perry Orth.

“He’s the one who ... got me in contact with [Steve Spurrier] and he gave me the opportunity to walk on, and I thank him everyday," Hurst said.

Orth grew up competing with Hurst, but the two never developed a friendship outside of football. Hurst and Orth shared mutual friends, who helped him reach out to Orth. 

The once walk-on for South Carolina became a loud voice on the field, leading his team to numerous achievements. Hurst was named as one of eight semifinalists for the Mackey Award, which is awarded to the top tight end in the country.

“It’s an honor," Hurst said. "Like I’ve told you guys before when I stepped foot on campus, I figured I could come and compete, but being one of eight tight-ends to be named top in the country is pretty humbling.” 

The Mackey Award is just one of the acknowledgements that Hurst has received over the past three years at South Carolina. Hurst set the Gamecocks single-season record of 48 catches by a tight end in 2016. He broke the school record for receiving yards by a tight end with 616 and won the Co-Tenacity Award for offense.

Hurst is not only a great football player, but also has the ability to lead as one of South Carolina's permanent captains. He said the key is to stay grounded and treat everyday the same.

“Not just from a tight-end position, but from a leadership standpoint, he’s everything that you want in a student athlete,” head coach Will Muschamp said. “For what he represents, what more of what he does for our team is a shield on our punt team. He contributes in a lot of ways other than just playing really good tight-end for us at South Carolina.” 

Hurst is a well-respected teammate, who in his own words wants to be seen as a “hard worker" and "a physical tight end." During game time, Hurst creates different offensive options for his teammates in other positions.

“When you have a guy like Hayden Hurst, the playbook opens so much that you can just have the freedom to do whatever you want,” August said. “Hayden, he can catch, he can block, he can run to make tackles, fumble the ball. I know for the coaches, it's really reassuring to have him on the field.” 

According to quarterback Jake Bentley, Hurst is one of the best playmakers on the team. He adds to the pass protection and run blocking. Bentley emphasized that the offense tries to get Hurst in different spots, and in the best match-ups against opposing defenses to have space and get the ball.

“I just try to go out there and play as hard as I can,” said Hurst. “And catch every pass that Jake throws and just do what I can do.” 

While he is technically a junior, Hurst was recognized during Saturday's Senior Day game against Wofford. He is still unsure of his professional future in football, but is hopeful of what is to come professionally for him.

“It’s crazy now to come full circle," Hurst said. "I started off playing football as a kid and then everybody told me baseball was the answer; now it’s football. It’s just weird. Like I said, I just try to take full advantage of every day.”