Former Gamecocks to face each other in Super Bowl LII

This year’s Patriots-Eagles Super Bowl matchup is the second consecutive year college teammates will face each other in the Super Bowl. Last year, a pair of players from Rutgers suited up for their respective teams for the big game, and the Patriots emerged victorious. This year, it's two former Gamecocks. 

Cornerback Stephon Gilmore and wide receiver Alshon Jeffery will see each other at the line of scrimmage this Sunday as the Patriots and Eagles battle for the title. Both have been pivotal parts to their teams making it this far in the NFL Playoffs, and Gamecock fans know that these two players can step up when they need to.

Both Gilmore and Jeffery made huge plays during Championship weekend to advance their teams. Gilmore broke up the Jaguars’ final pass to send the Patriots to the Super Bowl. Jeffery had five receptions and two touchdowns to hold on to his promise and send the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Now, it appears the cornerback and wide receiver will get even more acquainted, as they will line up and play directly against each other. 

Not only did Gilmore and Jeffery play with each other at South Carolina, but they were also roommates during their time here. They also share a special connection on the field, as Gilmore's only two collegiate passes were caught by Jeffery. 

Gilmore was a quarterback in high school and as him and Jeffery were both true freshmen, former South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier played Gilmore a few times at quarterback. Once their freshmen year against Clemson, and another time a year later in the Chick-fil-A Bowl against Florida State. 

The Gamecocks will also see one of their other former players in Minneapolis, but not playing, as 1997 graduate Duce Staley is the Philadelphia Eagles' running backs coach. 

This Sunday will be a much different feel than it was in Williams-Brice Stadium in 2009, but it will surely be a special moment for both of them.