Organization fair showcases clubs on campus

The beginning of a semester brings about new opportunities, many of which start on Greene Street at the Student Organization Fair. 

USC boasts hundreds of on-campus organizations. Not only are extracurricular clubs like Carolina Cornhole and the Astronomy Club represented, but so are organizations dedicated to a variety of majors, causes, faiths and interests. For three hours, the section Greene Street was lined with groups from across USC that came together to bring awareness to their clubs and to attract new members.

First-year business student Amelia Leahy came to the fair to find clubs that will help her make connections and get involved on campus.

“They have everything. I didn’t realize how much there actually is,” she said.

Erica Miller, also a first-year business student, had a different motive. She was at the Organization Fair looking for a club to compliment her major. Miller says she is interested in a club that “can help with maybe future internships or networking, jobs.”

Leahy and Miller, as well as many students at the fair, were also open to the many organizations focused on activism.

First-year biology student Blaine Moore, is a member of one such organization, the Association of Public Health and Infectious Diseases.

Moore and her club attempt to start a dialogue about disease, specifically AIDS, and encourage people to get tested. 

"We have different speakers ... talk about diseases that are public and what to do to keep them from spreading, she said. "We volunteer ... try to get people tested."

USC is home to clubs that focus on many different subjects, some local and others international. Clubs also differ in their community service. Some groups focus on issues as specific AIDS prevention, and others look at broad topics, like Feminist Collective (FEMCO).

Club teams are a popular way for students to join a team and perfect their skills in a sport, without the pressure of being a part of the official school team. One opportunity is Club Tennis. With flexible practices four days a week the team is accessible for most students and welcome them. 

Matt Titus, a team member and second-year biochemistry and molecular biology student, says that it's about more than physical activity.

“Obviously you get to meet new people, but also you get exercise,” Titus said. "As long as we're out here talking to people, representing our club, I think it's a good way to get people to join us."