Brief: SG cabinet meeting addresses upcoming elections, new student committees

This week's Student Government cabinet meeting saw presentations from cabinet members on upcoming events and developments during the rest of the semester.

• Student Body President Ross Lordo reported that Student Life finalized the 10 students for the new student union steering committee, a group that will provide input to the university on the renovations to the Carolina Coliseum. The steering committee will present to the Board of Trustees this Friday.
  • Concerning Student Government elections, there are some important dates coming up. The start of soft campaigning is Feb. 13, and the start of candidate debates and hard campaigning is Feb. 20. Regular elections begin Feb. 27.
  • The Student Sustainability Fund Committee applications are live and due by Feb. 11. Nine students will make up the committee. According to memorandum establishing the committee, it will be a "tool of the Student Body to encourage energy efficiency and sustainability on campus through the funding of projects and research.” 
  • The Office of Off-Campus Housing is brainstorming a new program similar to Alcohol EDU. The program will center on helping freshman search for off-campus housing, such as what to look for in terms of security.