Kingston tries to fit together crowded infield

One of the biggest issues during the preseason for new head coach Mark Kingston has been making all of the puzzle pieces fit for position players. The infield is stacked, but this poses the question of who's playing where. And with the outfield is a little scarce, Kingston has had to see who's going to fit best where overall. 

As far as the infield, the Gamecocks have a variety of players who could see playing time. While fans recognize the names of Madison Stokes, LT Tolbert and Jonah Bride filling the diamond, many newcomers to the team have been battling during the preseason to earn a spot. Freshman Jordan Holladay is one player that has stuck out in Kingston's mind. 

"You earn what you get and you get what you earn, and he's earned the opportunity to be considered our first baseman," Kingston said of Holladay. "Starting on opening day. He hasn't won it yet, by any stretch, but when you hit four homers in a short period of time and you play as hard as he does and he's a very mature kid for a freshman, he's going to be considered as our first baseman." 

Kingston also mentioned during scrimmages that freshman Noah Campbell will be playing during opening weekend. 

"Campbell will be in our lineup somewhere," Kingston said. "Whether it's at second base, whether it's as DH, a lot of that will be dominoes and where guys fit in based on who's in the lineup. But, Campbell will be in the lineup." 

Kingston has looked at Bride to be the starting third baseman once again, and Stokes will most likely start at shortstop this weekend. Both veterans were swinging the bat well during scrimmages and finding the right pitches to send balls over the fences. With their experience and leadership added into the young infield Kingston has projected, it should create balance throughout the lineup. 

The freshmen continued to give Kingston a hard time pinpointing a set infield though, as Mason Streater displayed talent at third. He helped play a solid defense during the spring that will make him a good backup to Bride, in case he needs a day off or gets injured. 

As far as the outfield, the Gamecocks have some options, but not as many as in the infield. During scrimmages, Kingston still wasn't ready to name a starting trio. Still, he feels confident in some of the players he has. 

"We feel good about all five guys out there," Kingston said of his outfielders. "I think a couple guys have kinda distanced themselves from the pack a little bit. [TJ] Hopkins is an elite player, [Carlos] Cortes is an elite player, [Jacob] Olson has played really well ... is a very good right fielder and can hit. So, there's some guys obviously that probably have the lead on those positions."  

The three players Kingston mentioned are all experienced as they each saw playing time last year, but Cortes and Olson give Kingston some versatility. Both of them have the ability to play some infield positions as well, so it gives Kingston the option to play them somewhere else to still get them in the lineup but put someone else in the outfield. 

Kingston also has a few options for what he can do with catcher. Chris Cullen played the most last season behind the plate, but Hunter Taylor also has experience, coming in clutch in some big games both at catcher and in the box. The Gamecocks also have freshman Elijah Bowers, who Kingston mentioned will get some playing time when the other two need a break. 

While Kingston finishes shuffling around his lineup card before Opening Day, he has plenty of options to play around with but hopes that what he puts together will find the magic to succeed right away.