Meet the Student Government presidential candidates

The 2018 race for president of the student body has seen four candidates, three of whom are running on tickets. Third-year finance and risk management student Tommy DiBona, third-year English student West Russell, third-year broadcast journalism and political science student Kathryn Stoudemire, and third-year public health student Taylor Wright are competing to earn votes on Tuesday and Wednesday to become the next student body president.

Tommy DiBona

"Get people out, get people excited, get people involved."

While Dibona has been involved in Student Government as deputy of alumni relations on the executive cabinet and in the elections commission last year, he's looking to move up to the highest position within SG. DiBona is campaigning on increasing accessibility and unity of the student body through creating a Board of Students and Student Gameday. “I want people to be inspired," DiBona said. In addition to his involvement, DiBona serves as the vice president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

Learn more: rallyunitecarolina.com

West Russell

"When we work for each other, we become our greatest."

The only presidential candidate not running on a ticket, Russell is unconventional in more ways than one. Most candidates create expansive staffs numbering 100 and beyond, yet Russell lists just four. He hasn't created a website or campaign social media accounts. He has no experience within Student Government and said that Student Government hasn't benefited him in any way. The purpose of the campaign, he says, is to "reclaim the unity we lost during this last national election." With involvement in student organizations like Quidditch and SGTV, Russell hopes to bring an outside perspective to the role of president.

Learn more: Russell's YouTube

Kathryn Stoudemire

“What we need to do is stop talking and start acting.”

A fifth-generation Gamecock, Stoudemire serves as Student Body President Ross Lordo's chief of staff. While she was involved in Greek life early on as Delta Zeta's creative media chair and PR chair, Student Government entered her life sophomore year when she joined the communications staff and then ran the Momentum campaign. Working alongside Ross, she said, has showed her the position of president in a unique way. “I would make sure to use the relationships I've built with the administration," Stoudemire said. Stoudemire is campaigning on pedestrian bridges and "fireside chats."

Learn more: uofscignite.com

Taylor Wright

“We have to take Student Government to people.”

Wright was involved with Student Government before even stepping foot onto USC's campus. After attending Pillars for Carolina and working on Freshman Council, Wright serves currently as Secretary of Campus Outreach on Student Body President Ross Lordo's executive cabinet. He's been executive director for UofSC Flood Relief, chief of staff for Lead the Way and is an ambassador for the university and University President Harris Pastides. With platform points like Smart Parking and Midnight Madness, at the debate Wright said, “I want people to know that I'm not just talking about making things happen, but that we actually make them happen."

Learn more: surgeusc.com