Offensive spark leads Gamecocks to win in first game of doubleheader

Game one of Saturday's doubleheader was controlled by the offense, as South Carolina found its swing to get the 7-3 win over Princeton. 

The top four batters of the Gamecocks lineup had the most production in Saturday's game, as Noah Campbell, TJ Hopkins, Madison Stokes and LT Tolbert  went 11-for-18 with six RBIs and six runs scored. Tolbert hit his third home run of the season, a rocket that went over the right field wall in the second, then Hopkins launched his second homer of the year to the same spot, just a little further, in the sixth inning.

Jonah Bride and Chris Cullen were the contributors from the bottom half of the lineup, as both of them doubled and Cullen's hit allowed Bride to score. With Bride's double in the sixth, he's now had a hit in the last six games. 

Morris had a solid day on the mound, allowing three runs – two earned – on five hits over six innings. He walked just two batters while striking out six, which was enough to pick up his third win of the season. 

South Carolina had to go to the bullpen twice for Sawyer Bridges and Hunter Lomas, making both of those players unavailable for the second game of the doubleheader. The three pitchers gave up seven hits and walked just three batters while stricking out nine. Lomas got his first save of the season while throwing two perfect innings. 

John Gilreath is also unavailable for the second game, as he threw four innings on Friday night. Using just two pitchers in game one of the series still gives the Gamecocks a good number of options for the series finale. 

Game three between South Carolina (10-5) and Princeton (0-6) is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. The Gamecocks look to get their first series sweep of the season.