Gamecocks earn SEC weekly and yearly honors

After a successful week, many Gamecocks earned SEC honors for their work both on and off of the court. 

Softball player Jana Johns was named SEC Freshman of the Week after helping the Gamecocks sweep Missouri this past weekend. Johns posted a .400 average in four games with a .500 on-base percentage. She had four hits, scored two runs and an RBI in the one loss and three wins last week. 

This is the second time Johns has received this honor, the first time coming on Feb. 26. Johns is the first Gamecock in program history to earn SEC Freshman of the Week honors twice in one season. 

Senior sprinter Ncincilili Titi also racked up his second SEC weekly honor of the season, as he was named the SEC Male Runner of the Week on Tuesday. This is the third time he's received this honor during his career. 

Titi went out with a bang in his final home meet as a Gamecock. He first ran the 100 meter and set a new personal best with a time of 10.16, moving up to fourth all-time in South Carolina history. But what gained the most attention was his 200 meter, where he beat his own best and set a new school record.

Titi ran the 200 meter with a time of 20.00, bettering his previous best by .14 seconds, and he was able to beat the school record that he set himself just a year ago. This time is also currently the fastest outdoor 200 meter in the NCAA this season and the third-fastest in the world. 

After Titi's record-breaking performance, head coach Curtis Frye recognized the hard work Titi has put in throughout his South Carolina career to earn these honors. 

"Titi did great. He knew the crowd was here cheering for him, and so he decided to run the 100 and the 200," Frye said. "He came out really strong in the 200. He didn't miss his start, and that was key, because he's a great finisher. It's a new school record. I think he's a future Olympian, and it was great for our entire team to share in an experience like that.”

Men's and women's tennis also picked up some conference recognition. Men's tennis senior Thomas Mayronne was named to the SEC Men's Tennis Community Service Team for the third-straight season. Mayronne leads the team with 43 community service hours this season, dedicating most of his time to Ending Allergies Together. Mayronne was presented the SEC Brad Davis Community Service Award at Monday's Gamecock Gala. 

After their historic regular season, three Gamecock women's tennis players were named to the first and second All-SEC teams. Having three players selected to the All-SEC teams ties the most selections in program history. 

Senior Hadley Berg and junior Ingrid Gamarra Martins were named to the All-SEC first team while sophomore Mia Horvit was named to the All-SEC second team. 

In her final season at South Carolina, Berg finished the year 7-3 in SEC singles and 6-2 in SEC doubles. Berg picked up SEC Player of the Week honors on March 7, and this is the first time she's received All-SEC honors. 

Gamarra Martins finished the season 5-3 in SEC singles play after competing in the No. 1 spot all year. This is her first All-SEC first team selection after taking home All-SEC Freshman team honors in 2016. Horvit was selected to the All-SEC second team for the second straight season after going 6-2 in conference singles. Horvit was named to the All-SEC Freshman team last year.