Former South Carolina players prepare for NFL Draft

The NFL Draft begins Thursday night, and there are a few notable Gamecocks who are taking the next step in their football careers. This process started for Hayden Hurst, JaMarcus King, Skai Moore and Taylor Stallworth at the NFL Combine back in February and March. 

Tight end Hayden Hurst is currently predicted to be drafted either late in the first round or somewhere in the second round. He was a top performer in the 40-yard dash, 60-yard shuttle and the broad jump. 

Hurst has been described as a package tight end, which means he has both the ability to be a receiving tight end and a blocking tight end. He had a terrific career at South Carolina, including setting a school record for receptions in a season by a tight end. Additionally, he was the first sophomore in school history to be named a team captain. Hurst finished his career at South Carolina with 100 receptions, 1,281 yards and three touchdowns.

Linebacker Skai Moore is currently predicted to be drafted in either the fifth or sixth round. Even though he did not stand out too much at the combine, the interest in Moore comes from his performance in games. His size and his pass-rushing ability force him to push to a new level, but his coverage ability is what stands out. 

Pro Football Focus has Moore as the highest rated linebacker in coverage among draft eligible linebackers. Moore led the Gamecocks in tackles for his first three years until he suffered a herniated disc in his neck. This kept him out for the whole 2016 season until he came back for the 2017 season.

During his senior year, he recorded 93 tackles, eight tackles for loss, two sacks, three interceptions and two passes defended. That was good enough for a first team All-SEC selection. Moore also tied the school record for career interceptions at 14.

Defensive lineman Taylor Stallworth is currently predicted to either be drafted in the seventh round or go undrafted. He did not have the strongest combine performance, but there is reason to believe that he could have a successful career in the NFL.

His size and movement may hold him back, but he still has a great ability to beat out his lineman. Stallworth started every game in his last two years. He also won the Unselfish Teammate Award on defense in 2016. Stallworth finished his career with 87 tackles, six and a half tackles for loss and one sack. 

Cornerback JaMarcus King is currently predicted to be drafted in either the sixth or seventh round. King does not have the best speed among corners, but his coverage ability and intelligence make him a great player, especially when forcing interceptions.

King was a JUCO recruit before coming to South Carolina, and he made an immediate impact when he arrived. He started all but two games in his junior year and started every game in his senior year. King’s most impressive performance came against Tennessee when he had two interceptions, including one that sealed the game for the Gamecocks. King finished his career with 97 tackles, four tackles for loss, one sack and five interceptions.

If these four Gamecocks hear their name called Thursday night or sign with a team later on, it will give South Carolina 28 active players in the NFL.