SEC Media Day takeaways: Muschamp looks to capitalize on momentum

Excitement is building for the 2018 South Carolina football season as head coach Will Muschamp spoke at SEC Media Days Thursday at the College Football Hall of Fame.

Despite the Gamecocks' solid record last season, Muschamp is focusing on how the rest of the summer and training camp can prepare his team. 

Three of Muschamp's most influential leaders attended the event: Deebo Samuel, Jake Bentley and D.J. Wonnum. These players' talents have been proven, but for Muschamp there is even more to come.

From the start, Muschamp has had faith in Bentley's abilities. The coach recalled the 2017 loss to Georgia and talking on the phone to athletics director Ray Tanner about Bentley, deciding whether or not to start the young player. 

Muschamp's decision to burn Bentley's red shirt proved to be correct. Bentley was very successful in helping turn South Carolina's season around. 

“Jake, first of all ... what he did his first year was amazing ... I'm glad he's our quarterback, I can tell you that right now," Muschamp said.

Not only has Bentley contributed to the undying chemistry of this South Carolina squad, but so has Deebo Samuel. The two were voted co-MVPs by their teammates two years ago and have high expectations for 2018.

Muschamp made it clear that there are still improvements Bentley can make, such as not giving other teams so many momentum swings. The team is doing some things that are going to help capitalize on his skill set. 

South Carolina's recruitment process is something to watch this season, as competition is fierce. Coming off a win against Michigan at the Outback Bowl, the Gamecocks have great momentum going into their upcoming season. 

Additionally, the Gamecocks can have confidence in their new operations facility, one of the best in the country. South Carolina also has a supportive staff and fan base. 

Muschamp continues to live by his attitude of valuing investing over inheriting. 

"We are investing the way you're supposed to invest to win a championship, and that's what we'll do," Muschamp said.