Class of 2022 prepares for first year at USC

USC’s newest freshmen, the Class of 2022, are arriving on campus to begin their college experience and have high hopes for what the next four years will entail.

The 5,800 freshmen are coming from 40 countries and across the United States as they search for what they hope will be a distinctive education at USC. Beyond the classroom, a recently renovated student union, a highly-ranked business school and successful athletic programs draw in many remarkable students.

Still, many members of the Class of 2022 chose the University of South Carolina and its student population of over 34,000 for their own unique reason.

“I had planned on going to a smaller school ... then when I saw the campus and the amazing facilities at USC,” said Luke Ownbey, a first-year broadcast journalism student. “I just knew it couldn’t be beat.” 

McKenna Howell, a first-year biology major, was won over by the atmosphere of campus and the surrounding city.

“I loved the campus, the people and even Columbia in general.”

Around 1,300 freshman will enter the Capstone Scholars program, and another 568 will join the Honors College. USC is welcoming 160 student athletes to join their respective teams and  represent South Carolina on and off the field.

After receiving their acceptance letters, the new students began their journey to USC by attending a two day session of orientation. 

Along with signing up for classes and getting a sneak peek of living in a residence hall, many students coming to orientation get their first chance to explore campus. Over the short two days, the newest freshman have the opportunity to start making memories at USC. 

“I learned a lot at orientation, but one thing that stood out was the library! I think it’s so cool that there are so many floors, and that each floor is a different volume level for students,” Howell said.

No one knows this better than Nicholas Haerens, a third-year civil engineering major and orientation leader. He just finished his second summer preparing new South Carolina students to take on college life. Haerens said working to prepare incoming freshman for the rewarding but often tumultuous life on a college campus means adapting to their different needs. 

“Some of them are nervous, some of them are already bouncing off the walls about this place they'll call home. I just like trying to help getting them to the latter,” Haerens said.

Orientation leaders know classes are just a fraction of a student’s life. They help incoming students understand that balancing clubs, Greek life, friends, family and so much more can sometimes be overwhelming. In that sense, orientation introduces the new students to the reality of the years ahead of them. Each incoming freshman is given the chance to learn about stress management, consent and other vital skills necessary for success at college.

“Every incoming freshman should know that the first people they talk to, don't have to be the only people they choose to surround themselves with," Haerens said. "They may choose to feel comfortable with the friends they make their first few weeks, but rest assured the best friendships are the ones that happen spontaneously, by chance, on accident, with no intention involved. Always be ready to try out a new study spot, a new place to eat, a new concert or anything giving out free food for that matter.”

Almost two thousand girls are choosing to find their home and friends through 2018 sorority recruitment. Many incoming freshmen go Greek in order to quickly join a supportive group of likeminded people. Fraternity recruitment begins later in the month while sorority recruitment begins before classes start.

For some, the rush process to enter a brotherhood or sisterhood can be equal parts fun and nerve-wracking.

Campbell Henderson, a first-year psychology student, is like many girls rushing excited but apprehensive about the recruitment process. “Im [sic] most excited to meet new people and just be in a new place. Im [sic] pretty excited about everything, but im [sic] a little nervous for rush.”

First-year international studies student Libby Ward said Greek life is a way to find friends on a large campus.

“Seems great to belong to a group of people who all support each other and give back to the community together,” she said.

From recruitment to the many other aspects of campus life, Henderson said she's eager to get started.

“I can't wait and am counting the down the days.”