Activity fee allocation breakdown avalible to students for first time

Student Senate was led by a talking hamster and the Gerber Baby on Wednesday night. 

In the spirit of Halloween, senators dressed to impress. 

Caesar of Powers and Responsibilities (Phillip Allan) presented a new attendance bill which was amended and tabled until next meeting. It would allow for up to three unexcused absences by senators.  

Caesar also moved to nominate Emily Smith to be Senator for the College of Education. She was sworn in during the meeting after the movement was unanimously passed. 

Student Body President Lindsay Richardson (dressed as a gladiator) announced the release of USC’s budget allocation breakdown. In a press conference planned for next Wednesday, Richardson will explain exactly how over $4 million in student activity fees are used.  

Student Government, Student Media, Carolina Productions and Student Ticketing all receive around 3 percent each of that total budget.  Student Government received $417,630 in the previous allocation period. This is the first time this information has been made public to students. 

The Residence Hall Association has passed a bill which will allocate for the installation of water bottle refilling stations in Preston Residential College, Bates West, South Tower and McBryde. They also elected to install a new TV in South Quad.  

University Technology Services has been contacted by SG executives, namely Richardson, about improving student wi-fi. This sudden interest was spurred by the fast guest wi-fi at the away game at Auburn this weekend. Richardson encouraged senators to share any difficulties with internet speeds with UTS. Richardson will meet with UTS on Nov. 10 in order to move forward with this legislation.