USC looks for revenge against Georgia

Lady Gamecocks attempt to break Bulldogs' seven-game winning streak tonight

Coach Dawn Staley is out for revenge after her team’s showing against Georgia earlier this year.

Her team was outscored 40-17 in the first half and eventually lost 61-51. The teams play again tonight at 7 p.m. inside the Colonial Life Arena.

“We played probably the worst half of the season,” Staley said. “Hopefully, we can return the favor.”

Since that 61-51 win over the Gamecocks, the Bulldogs have collected five straight victories, and the team rides a seven-game winning streak into tonight’s game.

“I think they have scoring threats — I think they really understand their role,” Staley said. “They’re very, very athletic. They know what they do, and they do that well.”

One of the strengths for No. 20 Georgia in its last outing against Mississippi State was its bench production, with sophomore Anne Marie Armstrong entering the game to score a career-high 17 points in a 78-58 victory.

While that’s been a strong point for the Bulldogs, it’s been an area of concern for the Gamecocks.

“We’re not getting bad production,” Staley said. “We just have to make sure that when they go into the game, they focus and know what we’re doing. If they know what we’re doing, they’ll get extended minutes.”

At this point in the season, issues such as poor bench play are getting attention, as Carolina is looking at every game as a part of something bigger.

“I think Georgia is a very good basketball team,” Staley said. “They’re playing good basketball. We’re not playing shabby ball at this point, but I think this is a pretty decent game to measure where we are. We could make some headway in the SEC standings.”

Bulldogs right at home in Columbia: Georgia enters the matchup with a 5-0 record in the Colonial Life Arena and a 13-2 record all-time against Carolina in Columbia. Home has been sweet for the Gamecocks this season, however, as they come into the night with two SEC home victories.

“I think in order for us to have any postseason play, you do need to take care of home,” Staley said. “The Colonial Life Arena has been good to us. The fans that come in here and see us play, they get their money’s worth.”

Newton gives boost as starter: In the last three games that Staley has started junior guard Courtney Newton, the Gamecocks have a 2-1 record.

“I think Courtney understands what we’re doing,” Staley said. “Courtney’s going to give the second, third and fourth efforts out there on both sides of the basketball. She gives us extra possessions on offense, she’ll hit a three or two, but from a defensive standpoint, she’ll put her face in anything.”

USC looking for continued effort: With Georgia holding a substantial height advantage over the Gamecocks, Staley is emphasizing getting to the basket against as the team did against Tennessee, where they posted 36 points in the paint.

“I think we went to the basket with reckless abandon,” Staley said. “I think if we take that effort into it, then I don’t think we’re afraid. I don’t think they’re the biggest team we’ve faced.”