Notebook: Defense holds second opponent to under 100 yards of offense

Jeffery makes moves on school record lists

His defense has now held an opponent to less than 100 yards in a game twice this fall. But assistant head coach and assistant coach for defense Ellis Johnson still feels his unit is blue-collar.

"We look at numbers around here too much," Johnson said. "I know what we are, and I know how we've practiced this week. I know that some things we do well and some things we don't do well. It's about their attitude, and I think they stepped up today."

In a win largely about offense, the defense held Kentucky to 96 yards and just three points in the rout.

"It helped our o-line," said quarterback Connor Shaw of the defense's play. "We left some points on the board, but they gave us so many opportunities to score. The offense is very appreciative of the defense."

When USC held Vanderbilt to 77 total yards of offense, the defense was carried by its front line, which yielded only four yards on the ground. But against UK, the once-maligned secondary made its mark, holding the passing game to 17 yards with four interceptions.

"We've gotten some players back (in the secondary)," Johnson said. "I think some of the guys have gotten comfortable in their position. There's competition now. There's rotation for when they get tired. There are a lot of factors creating improvement."

One of the players USC has gotten back in the secondary is Victor Hampton Jr., who recorded his first career interception Saturday. Hampton was dismissed from the team in June before being given another chance, albeit with a three-game suspension to start the season. Hampton has since played his way into significant snaps.

Senior cornerback C.C. Whitlock, who also had an interception, said the defense has something to prove after its lackluster play the past several seasons.

"We just got tired of being the downfall of the team," Whitlock said. "For the past two years, everybody was looking at us. We came together this summer and just decided we wouldn't be the downfall of the team anymore and that we would try to help the team as much as possible."

Jeffery moves up: Alshon Jeffery recorded his 18th and 19th career touchdown receptions in the win, moving into a tie for second place on the Gamecocks' all-time receiving touchdowns list. Jeffery is now tied with Robert Brooks, Jermale Kelly and Kenny McKinley. Sidney Rice holds the school record with 23 career touchdown catches.

Jeffery had six receptions on the day, giving him 159 for his career. He is now fourth in USC history in that category. His 95 total yards receiving leave him 74 away from passing McKinley for the school record.

Ellington, Cunningham get first collegiate touchdowns: After having several big catches against Auburn, slotback Bruce Ellington found the end zone this week on a 61-yard touchdown run out of the wildcat formation.

"It was a great run," Ellington said. "The line did a great job blocking ... It was just exciting."

Cunningham, who had five catches for 46 yards in a stellar afternoon for USC's tight ends, also scored.

"It's always nice to get a catch or two," Cunningham said. "I'm here to do my job — whatever they need me to do."

Injury update: Defensive end Melvin Ingram did end up playing Saturday, albeit not in a starting role. USC coach Steve Spurrier said Ingram would be fully available this weekend at Mississippi State.

Tailback Eric Baker suffered an ankle sprain. Spurrier said Sunday that it may keep Baker out indefinitely. Offensive tackle Rokevious Watkins and defensive backs Marty Markett and Corey Addison all suffered slight concussions.

Cunningham has a strained calf muscle but is expected to be OK.