Offensive point of emphasis: Passing game looks to finally break through against Razorbacks

Air attack has left much to be desired

Through eight games this season, South Carolina boasts a 7-1 record and is ranked in the top 10 for the second time.

But the Gamecocks' identity is still largely undefined on offense due to a variety of personnel changes that have taken place throughout the season.

Essentially, it's still growing. With that come growing pains, and as USC prepares to face Arkansas, it looks to move past the frustration and find its stride in the passing game.

"We know we have a stout defense, but we can't rely on them to keep [the opponent] shut out," said quarterback Connor Shaw. "We have to put points on the board."

Arkansas has the best pass offense in the Southeastern Conference, so the Gamecocks know they will need to have more than the 87 yards passing they tallied at Tennessee in order to maintain first place in the SEC East.

"We just want to go in there and be us and play as a team," said receiver Bruce Ellington. "Hopefully, we'll be able to run some up."

Ellington will be back to full speed for Saturday's matchup. He said he was limited to 85 percent against the Vols after tweaking his hamstring last week.

After a strong debut by tailback Brandon Wilds, the Gamecocks might make the Razorback defense commit to defending the run more, which would give the Gamecocks the opportunity to have more efficiency in the passing game.

One of the things that coach Steve Spurrier has worked on with Shaw has been passing rather than running with the ball, even if there's an open lane. Shaw had 79 yards rushing against Tennessee, just eight yards less than his passing total.

"Just trust your offensive line and trust the routes," Shaw said. "Keep your eyes downfield instead of tucking it. Things I can work on like that."

Shaw said that's "easier said than done," but he hopes to take what's worked on in practice and execute it during a game.

The offensive line also seems to have more success run blocking than pass blocking, which has been an issue in protecting Shaw. He was sacked three times against Tennessee.

"At times they're pitiful, and at other times they're decent," said offensive line coach Shawn Elliott. "It's all relative to what down and [the] distance it is and play action and things like that. We've got to improve on that to be a better passing team."

Frustration has also surfaced on the part of the receiving corps, as it has not been able to get the same statistical production since USC beat Kentucky 54-3.

"I'm sure they have to be [frustrated]," Shaw said. "They're receivers to catch the ball, and when you don't catch that many balls, it's frustrating. They're staying positive. They know they're time's coming."

Perhaps the frustration is most expected from Jeffery, who is getting the most defensive coverage and hasn't been able to have the same success as he did last season. Against Tennessee, Jeffery only had 17 receiving yards.

"He comes over and tells the coaches and me what's open and what's there and what's the plan," Shaw said of Jeffery. "He's not down about it. He's not pouting or anything. He knows about the defense, and he's not too frustrated."

And while the growing pains for the offense have been a factor for the passing offense, Spurrier is focused on beating Arkansas, something the Gamecocks were unable to do last season at home. For Spurrier, a win is a win no matter how it comes.

"When you're the offensive coordinator, sometimes you worry about how many yards you make and the score," Spurrier said. "When you're the head coach, you worry about wins and losses. We're going to do whatever it takes we feel is best to win the game. If that's running on the ground, then that's not a bad way to do it. Hopefully we can throw the ball around. It's frustrating, but it is what it is."