Frank Martin to South Carolina?

Source confirms KSU coach interviewed for hoops vacancy

Kansas State men’s basketball coach Frank Martin interviewed in Columbia for the South Carolina men’s basketball head-coaching vacancy, according to a source.

Martin texted several national basketball writers and K-State beat writers that he had not talked to anyone, but when appearing on CBS Saturday as a studio analyst, Martin did not directly deny any connection to USC, but refuted a blog report that a press conference announcing his hiring at South Carolina was scheduled for Saturday.

A Saturday press conference would not have been feasible because Athletic Director Eric Hyman was leaving for Fresno, Calif. to support the women’s basketball team in the Sweet 16, while Martin was scheduled to appear on CBS in New York.

“In the age of social media that we live in right now, it’s crazy,” Martin said on CBS. “I was scheduled to be at a press conference today in South Carolina and I was sitting watching a show in New York City last night. And obviously I’m sitting here with you guys today ... The stuff that gets out these days, I look at it as a compliment that we’re doing our job the right way at Kansas State that these sort of things get out.”

Martin led the Wildcats to the NCAA Tournament, where they fell to Syracuse in the second round. In his five years at Kansas State, Martin has made the NCAA Tournament four times.

On CBS, he voiced his displeasure that KSU starter Jamar Samuels was suspended against Syracuse after he received money from an old AAU coach. The decision to suspend Samuels was not Martin’s, but one from university administration, which has added to the speculation that Martin might be looking to coach elsewhere next season.

The Sporting News reported Friday that Hyman requested permission to speak with Martin, citing a source close to the process. Sporting News also reported that Martin makes $1.1 million per year, though the report said if he were to reach all of his bonuses, his salary would reach $1.55 million.

Darrin Horn, who was fired as USC’s coach on March 13, made $1.1 million, but Hyman said in the post-firing press conference that he would have more financial flexibility and could pay the next coach more. Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall was the original frontrunner, but Hyman was never reported to have reached out to Marshall and the Shockers’ official athletics site put out a release Saturday that Marshall will return as the head coach next season.

The Gamecocks finished the season at a program-worst mark of 10-21, but lost just one senior; however, the next coach could see at least one player transfer. A source close to sophomore forward Damontre Harris said the All-SEC defensive team selection has openly contemplated transferring. Harris finished the season leading the team in blocks and rebounds.

Hyman said he told the players that he would support any decision they make, but only after a new coach is hired and they have a chance to meet him. The next coach could also lose point guard Bruce Ellington, who might make a return to football after originally announcing a commitment to basketball.

Ellington was at the first scrimmage of the season in street clothes with former wide receiver Alshon Jeffery. Spurrier said he thinks that Ellington has come to a decision.

“I think I know what he wants to do,” Spurrier said. “I was hoping that he could tell his basketball coach what he wants to do at the same time, so we’ll wait till next week on all that.”