Spurrier: ‘It wasn’t that hot’

USC coach disappointed with fans exiting at halftime

After Saturday's 48-10 win over East Carolina, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier voiced his displeasure with fans for leaving at halftime, when the Gamecocks had a three-touchdown lead.

At Tuesday's press conference, Spurrier didn't take kindly to the excuses for the early exits either.

"It wasn't that hot, though. It wasn't near as muggy as it could have been ... If it is a blowout in the middle of the fourth quarter, you know, certainly you can understand people leaving and so forth. But last week, that was halftime," Spurrier said. "If the most important thing is just coming and drinking out in the parking lot, you don't even need to come in to start with if you're only going to stay a half, I would think.

"A lot of people did that ... But hopefully our fans will understand, if we are going to be a big-time football program, you don't need to leave at halftime. And there wasn't a threat of lightning or anything like that, so it wasn't that bad weather-wise."

Kickoff was at noon, and at 12:43 p.m., it was 92 degrees in Columbia, the hottest temperature of the day, according to National Weather Service.

After Spurrier said "the party in the parking lot can wait" on Saturday in the postgame press conference, he followed up on his comments in his Sunday teleconference.

"I hope we're not reverting back to the days when football wasn't very important around here — when the pregame party and the postgame party was more important than the game itself," Spurrier said. "I'm hoping our Gamecock fans will treat the game as the most important part of their Saturday football day, but it didn't appear that way ... Hopefully, the people that leave will feel a little embarrassed, and I know it was a lot of students, but maybe the students need to feel embarrassed if they leave."

Injury update: Spurrier said quarterback Connor Shaw did not throw in Monday's practice but may throw on Wednesday. His status for Saturday's game against UAB will be evaluated based on how much he's able to do in practice.

Spurrier said he wouldn't consider sitting Shaw until the Missouri game, even if he's healthy.

"We don't operate like that," Spurrier said. "We try to win each game, and this one is the most important game of the season because it is this week. And when it is over, it will be one of the least important as soon as it is over. We're getting ready for UAB. I think their coaches have sort of indicated they know how to beat the Gamecocks."

Shaw suffered a deep shoulder bruise in the season opener against Vanderbilt.
Defensive lineman Jadeveon Clowney, who had bruised ribs after the ECU game "should be fine to practice," Spurrier said.

Tailback Brandon Wilds, who was projected to miss two to three weeks with an ankle injury, is also expected back in the lineup soon.

"Brandon is jogging around," Spurrier said. "I don't think he is expected to play this week. We'll wait and see when he is healthy."

Captains: The captains for the Gamecocks' game against UAB will be wide receivers Bruce Ellington and D.L. Moore for the offense, with linebacker
Reginald Bowens and defensive lineman Byron Jerideau representing the defense.

Kickoff announced: South Carolina's game against Missouri will be a 3:30 p.m. kickoff on CBS, USC announced on Monday. It will be the Gamecocks' first SEC home game of the season.