In our opinion: USC law school pro-bono work admirable

For many, filing taxes is a bureaucratic nightmare, and it’s something that a lot of people struggle with, young and old alike. That’s why for the past 22 years, USC’s very own law school students have helped fellow students and members of the community file their state and federal taxes. But there’s more — it’s all for free. 

Through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, students are able to help those who need it most, especially those in close proximity. 

The service doesn’t charge individuals who fall under a certain income level, and the best part is that it’s a win-win situation for everyone involved. 

Local community members, like the elderly or USC’s service employees, get access to a top-notch tax service that might not be affordable normally. It’s just icing on the cake that our fellow Gamecocks who help file individual tax returns are able to use this as an educational experience and get valuable practical experience — which can always comes in handy in today’s competitive job market. 

And while not all students that help out will go into a career in tax work, we’re proud to see our fellow students taking a break from their traditional academic studies and lending a helping hand. Programs like this perfectly emphasize that it’s important for all students to see themselves not only as part of the University of South Carolina community, but also as active citizens within the city of Columbia.