Jalen Miller | The Daily Gamecock

More articles »

Audience members applaud speakers as they denounce the death penalty and issue regarding the U.S prison systems on April 23, 2022. The South Carolina State Conference of the NAACP held a rally to oppose the death penalty and save convicted citizens like Richard Moore from being put to death.

Miller_NAACP_DeathPenaltyProtest10.JPG

A rally attendee takes a picture during a speech by Courtney McClain, the Youth and College President for the NAACP chapter at the University of South Carolina on April 23, 2022. "I think we just need far, far, far more young people ... just getting involved in these issues and taking more direct action," McClain said.

Miller_NAACP_DeathPenaltyProtest15.JPG

"A lot of folks are here today talking about the need to progress as a society and not regress," said Kambrell Garvin, democratic member SC House of Representative district 77. The South Carolina State Conference of the NAACP held a rally on April 23, 2022, to denounce the death penalty.

Miller_NAACP_DeathPenaltyProtest12.JPG

Former university President Bob Caslen, interim university President Harris Pastides, and university President-Elect Michael Amiridis. Caslen served from July 2019 to May 2021, Pastides from May 2021 to the Summer of 2022, and Amiridis will start during the summer of 2022.

presidents.jpg

More media »