Common supplements dangerous, unhealthy

Gym-goers ought to be wary of "miracle" workout powders, pills

For many who go to the gym, working out is only half of their routine. Looking around Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center or Blatt P.E. Center, you can find many individuals mixing multicolored powders into a shaker bottle before or after exercising, depending on the supplement. Gym rats will contribute their success to these concoctions, as well as their makeshift tank tops and loud grunts.

But is it actually beneficial to take essentially legal cocaine (pre-workout mix), post-workout magic muscle-building protein powders or countless diet pills that promise to trim fat? While these supplements can help, most are simply a waste of money and potentially harmful.

The most popular supplement among the Strom’s denizens is the classic protein powder. Tubs of whey, casein or soy protein powder can be purchased at just about every store selling supplements. All promise that with each scoop you will see incredible gains in muscle size. However, what the labels don’t include is how highly processed their powders are and the extra ingredients not listed. These “proteins” being sold are nowhere close to the natural proteins that come from food. The proteins found in these powders have been denatured and are mixed with chemicals, preservatives and even heavy metals. The way these powders are processed can have detrimental effects to long-term health, and it shouldn’t be used as a proper substitute for the natural proteins that come from unprocessed food.

A second popular supplement among gym-goers is a pre-workout supplement designed to increase strength, energy, endurance and focus while working out. While being in “the zone” for every workout is an awesome concept, there are dangers. In fact, DMAA, one of the ingredients previously found in pre-workouts, was banned by the Food and Drug Administration after the death of two U.S. soldiers who had heart attacks using DMAA products. Products such as Jack3d or C4 contain a large dose of caffeine and other stimulants. The side effects of prolonged usage of such stimulants include nervousness, irritability, insomnia, addiction and heart issues.

A third common supplement used is thermogenics, commonly known as diet pills or fat burners. Thermogenics supposedly increase metabolism, boosting the amount of calories burned on a daily basis. They achieve this by loading the body with caffeine, tricking the adrenal glands into cranking out large amounts of adrenaline. This can cause some users to experience high blood pressure, anxiety, shaking, restlessness and nausea, and overuse of thermogenics cause the adrenals to down-regulate and function poorly without the use of the stimulant.

The desire to achieve fitness goals is admirable. However, some risks aren’t necessary to obtain your goals. Chances are that the cabinet full of workout powders might not even be necessary. Everyone should take the time to determine if that is the case because your body will be much happier in the end.