The Daily Gamecock is the University of South Carolina’s editorially independent student newspaper. As the student-journalists on staff, we hold several responsibilities:
- To report any news that affects the USC community in a timely fashion.
- To represent the voices of the community fairly in our reporting.
- To strive for ultimate accuracy in our work, to correct mistakes and to pursue journalistic excellence.
- To practice journalism in a professional and educational environment.
- To advocate for the mental health of our staff.
- To recruit, train and retain a diverse group of interested incoming students.
- To adhere to the ethical standards of The Daily Gamecock and Society of Professional Journalists in order to maintain a tradition of fairness and excellence.
- To make decisions in the best interest of the publication and give readers the best product that we can give them daily.
Opinions expressed in The Daily Gamecock are those of the author and not the official opinion of the newspaper. Staff editorials represent the majority opinion of the newspaper and are the team’s official opinion.