Student senate leaders look to the future

After a year marked by constitutional challenges, prolonged debates and convoluted internal matters, the student senate is looking to the future.

Student Body Vice President Donnie Iorio said he thinks the dynamic that the senate now has is great, and he hopes senators will be more focused on the students next year after spending a semester focusing on organizational priorities.

While the issues senators campaigned on remain priorities to members of the body, the students need to be the focus of the body once again, Iorio said.

“It’s for the students,” Iorio said. “We need to go back and hold meetings with delegations, so we have a steady flow of information from our students about what we need to change.”

As far as Iorio is concerned, that communication between college delegations and departments has recently improved.

“We’re working with departments to get things done,” he said. “We’re asking the right questions and getting support from administrators before acting.”

Several committees have started initiatives this semester that they plan to continue in the fall.

According to senate President Pro Tempore Jonathan Holt, the academics committee has been working closely with college deans to create a revamped, more comprehensive syllabus bank and finding ways to better incorporate first-generation college students into the USC environment.

“It’s a lot to undertake, getting everyone on board with all that,” Holt said.

The environmental affairs committee is also working on implementing a student sustainability fee, which would go toward sustainability projects throughout the year. According to Holt, USC is one of three schools in the SEC that does not charge students a sustainability fee.

Iorio said the interactions between the safety and transportation committee and parking services has set the stage for progress in the upcoming semester, as well.

“They’re working with parking services to find a happy medium,” he said. “It hasn’t just been pointing fingers.”

And despite a change in leadership in the student services committee, members will continue to focus on peer counseling and the peer advocacy program, Iorio said.

“We’re going to keep the momentum going,” Iorio said. “All the committees are working really hard.”

And as far as the constitution goes, Holt said it’s still up for discussion, but this time, that discussion is open to everyone. A constitutional committee within the senate was formed this semester in an attempt to incorporate more points of view into the discussion.

“The goal is for everyone to get a chance to sit down and talk, especially because some people are new, so we can get some ideas for reform,” Holt said. “We’re looking into it.”